Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:00 am 
Hobie Team Member

So here I am about half way into my trip thinking about raising the sail as I pedal along trolling.

Ugh. Something wrong with the left pedal. Appears to be coming off!

Whack it back on with my hand. About three minutes later it's coming off again!

Inspected. It appears to be some kind of grabbing mechanism to the stepped down diameter center bar. (Note looking at web later-is this a press on pedal?) Bobbing around can't figure out how it rotates. Jam it back on. Peddle with left foot cocked in toward center to hold it. Wind has been coming up. Time to switch propulsion modes.

While fiddling around with sail pedal comes lose again and goes to visit rust heaven in 80 fathoms of salt water.

Tried search here on pedal problems. Too many pages. Can't see Sadler's solution at: http://tinyurl.com/y2odox as it looks like a screw in soution, and center bar for pedal won't take it. Appears to be what they call a press on shaft.

Questions for Matt or others who have had similar experience:

1. Is this a warranty item (drive came with boat-less than a year old).

2.a. What is a replacement part #? Is it #81220 listed in the Mirage Drive parts list?

b. If so is that just the press on pedal? Or does it include the whole shebang with the center shaft, meaning I would somehow have to hammer out the old shaft?

3, I had been applying copious amounts of WD 40 to the Mirage Drive not missing the pedal shaft. But it was certainly rusty. Does the left failing mean the right is probably failing next?
If this is a warranty issue on the left should I also try for the right pedal replacement?

4. If there is no warranty replacement is it worth while to pursue Sadler's idea? If so how do I do it?

Curently in drydock.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:36 am 
Site Admin

AlohaDan wrote:
1. Is this a warranty item (drive came with boat-less than a year old).

Yes, we will replace under warranty.

AlohaDan wrote:
2.a. What is a replacement part #? Is it #81220 listed in the Mirage Drive parts list?

81222001 Right pedal assembly / 81221001 Left pedal assembly.

AlohaDan wrote:
b. If so is that just the press on pedal? Or does it include the whole shebang with the center shaft, meaning I would somehow have to hammer out the old shaft?

The pedal shaft is a press fit onto the crank. A pedal assembly includes pedal and crank together.

AlohaDan wrote:
3, I had been applying copious amounts of WD 40 to the Mirage Drive not missing the pedal shaft. But it was certainly rusty. Does the left failing mean the right is probably failing next?
If this is a warranty issue on the left should I also try for the right pedal replacement?

It is very possible that one can come loose without the other ever being an issue. We don't normally replace 2 parts just because one fails. I would assume that the pedal shaft had been coming loose over some time. If the other is still tight, keep an eye on it. We will replace if it comes loose for some reason. This part has been improved (the process of the press fit).

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:32 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Thanks Matt

I called the distributor this AM. The gal there had picked up my e-mail from the night before and my under warranty order is being shipped direct.

BTW let your management know that drop shipping direct to the customer instead of via the dealer is GREAT! Particularly when separated by distance (and water) as I am.

Aloha

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:13 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Part arrived today. That's 11 days from when I e-mailed and phoned in a followup same day to distributor . Pretty good! In the interim I did 3 trips in my second hand Scupper Pro. Enough paddling, I feel the urge to pedal! AND SAIL!!

The assembly includes not only the pedal, but the crank arm.

To remove the old one you need a 9/16" wrench and another to hold the nut, or vice grips. Note the bolt is also threaded through main assembly section (spine?) so you need to keep unscrewing it all the way before trying to pull it out. When re-assemblying I recommend getting at least a couple of threads through the spine and getting the nut started with your fingers. It's pretty tight and not that easy.

Once it's apart you have to remove the old pedal adjustment assembly and attach it to the new pedal/crank assembly. This requires, I believe a 5/64" allen wrench.( Least it worked for me) to remove the screw that holds the adjustment pin in place.

When you put it back together on the new crank arm your will have to fiddle around with the spring. Lot's of luck. Not easy.

Matt

I popped the cap seal at the end of the pedal. Clean as a whistle, but did not notice any grease. Does it need any?

Also how about he question raised on KFS concerning WD40 dissipating grease. Should we avoid spraying the pedal shaft with WD40?

Post subject: Lubrication
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Lubrication? The pedal shaft is stainless and the pedal is plastic. That should not need any, but maybe a little silicone spray. No need for lubrication like the old pedals that had steel and bearings.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)