Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,

I have been lurking here for a while, reading many useful posts, especially Roadrunner’s review of the Revo 11.

Now I am ready to buy, but have a dilemma.

My local dealer only has the Revo 13 in stock, and ordering an 11 would take 4-6 weeks. I could get a Revo 11 out of state, 100 miles from my house, which is not a big deal.
Thing is I have a discount with my local dealer, and I can get the Revo 13 with my local dealer at $20 LESS than I would have to pay if I get the Revo 11 out of state (the discount would not apply if I special order the 11).
I was leaning towards the 11 due to size, but was also considering the 13, as I plan to take my kid (8 yo, 70#) with me in the back every once in a while

What to do? 13 or 11? Pros and cons of each?
Do I “need” the extra 2 feet? Will the weight/bulkiness make much a difference?
Any other differences between the 11 and 13? I do not plan to fish, so the transducer-ready feature is not important to me…

I am 5’ 7”, 170#, 43yo. I plan to use it once or twice a week in and around the Tennessee River, with an occasional trip to the beach once or every other year.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are getting yourself all confused........ Which one do you want? Once decided go buy the damn thing and get out on the water.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi charro and welcome to the forum. I would ignore the price difference and get the one that meets your needs the best. A good deal that doesn't get used because it's difficult to load, transport or launch is no deal at all. The 13' would be a better choice with your son (if that's your purpose), but since you were leaning toward the 11' due to boat size, I suspect that is your boat (you can always tow your son on a raft or inflatable and you'd both enjoy it more). Both excellent boats!

Don't be reluctant to try some some bargaining with your dealer or the one that has it in stock! You may get a good price by including any accessories with the same purchase (example -- large rudder, ST or Turbo fins and cart) since this might give the dealer a little more price flexibility. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

islandspeed2001 wrote:
You are getting yourself all confused........ Which one do you want? Once decided go buy the damn thing and get out on the water.

In addition to that quality advice, maybe I can offer a few insights.

Generally speaking, longer kayaks are faster and more stable in bigger water. Large rivers, lakes and of course, the oceans, a longer boat would probably be the better choice. A longer boat will also generally carry more weight. Obviously, they have more room than a smaller boat. A shorter boat would be easier to maneuver in tight quarters and have somewhat "quicker" handling. The Revo 13 is going to be slightly heavier than the Revo 11, a little harder to get up on your car rack.

My personal opinion; if you are in doubt, go a little longer. I have a 13' Hobie kayak and used it everywhere from the ocean to small backcountry lakes. If you are going to be on a big river like the Tennessee, a longer boat should provide a little more stability and confidence.

Of course, other people will have different opinions, I am speaking strictly from experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the good advice so far.

I am still undecided; on one hand, I agree with Roadrunner that I was leaning initially toward the 11, but Ronbo613 has good pros for the 13, so let me give some more info that might help:

I demoed both for a good 30 minutes each, and I did not feel a significant difference between the 2 in regards to speed, maneuverability, or stability, but then again, I did not venture out of the secluded bay into the "open water" (i.e. where the power boats roam/wake zone)

I unfortunately did not try to lift each out of the water to get a feeling of the weight. I am not that athletic, but I am not a weakling either...But i do not know how it would be to car top (BTW, I need to buy a rack as well, which means more cost, unless I could get away with a quickstrap rack, which I may have to do, as due to my job I change cars every 9-12 months)

As far as storage space, I already lost my parking space to my kid's toys, but I could reclaim half of it, so the size difference may not matter that much in this regard.

Now, if I decide for the 11, I may have to wait until 4-6 weeks, and then, why not wait an additional month or so for the 2015s? But then I lost again another season...

Somebody wiser than me could help me make up my mind? :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'd get the 13 with thule bars and hullavator. Then again that is the exact setup I have so I might be a bit biased :) The thule bars can go with you when you get a new car all you would need is a new adaptor.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Go with the 13, after a few trips, you won't care about 2' and a few pounds. I fish rivers, bays, and lakes and find myself using most of the stowage space in my 2013 13'
No matter what, make a deal for Turbo fins, sailing rudder, and the larger cart w/air tires. (I got 20% off all acc. for a year from CCA in CA) You won't have any regrets
I use a Thule system I pieced together from eBay, and load from the back. Just make sure you strap the front/back/middle. Safety first!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all,

An update to this post.
I decided to go with my gut feeling and got the 11 this weekend in Ivory Dune!
I have not used it yet, as I am waiting for my quickstrap rack (did not get a more expensive Thule/Yakima as I change cars every 9-12 months).

I hope to receive it tomorrow, along with my PFD, so I can take it for a spin this weekend.

Also need to figure out how to store it, as it is bigger than I expected. I may have to buy a hoist of some sort (Harken or Thule).

Thanks for all the advice!
This is one of the friendliest, most informative forum I have visited and I look forward to increasing my post count!

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on your purchase. You will love it.