Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder Adjustment
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took my new 2007 Outback the other day for it's maiden voyage and it was great! I had a slight problem, that the rudder was not centered and I had to compensate. I checked the FAQ and my rudder is different than the video. Should I just bring it back to the dealer or is this something that can easily be fixed myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Revolution, and adjusted my rudder by stydying the brief instructions in the manual. A phillips head screwdriver and figuring out which line to adjust did the trick.

Might try that before contecting your dealer.

Jon

Post subject: Not centered
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:46 am 
Site Admin

Not centered...

Just to be clear, in many models, the rudder control handle is not pointed straight ahead when the rudder is centered. You should check to see where the center control point of the handle is before making adjustments on the rudder itself.

The "off center" position of those handles is due to a minimal cockpit width and hull interior space for the rudder line control arm.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The rudder handle is definely off centered. I did get my owner's manual today and that explains the alignment, so I should be okay. Is Hobie going to update the movie for the twist and stow rudder alignment?

Post subject: Online
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

Support Video online is just for the original rudder, so yes... we would update that at some point when we get appropriate video footage.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Rudder adjustment
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

undrh20hunter----

did you ever get to adjust the handle so it faces forward when the yak is going straight?

According to Matt (above) some models do not allow for this alignment whereby handle straight means kayak goes straight.

I just got a new 07 OB today and have noticed the same situation with the handle. Mine faces about 2 oclock when Im sitting and looking down at it, and the kayak goes straight at that point.

Sure is confusing. Maybe HOBIE will shorten the arm length of the steering handle so it might conform to the contour of the cutout in which it sits in. Would be nice to have a straight handle when going forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:58 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I also did not like the handle being off center, however I like it now. I have spent a lot of time the outback and rev this year. sit in your yak and lay your left arm down relaxed, if you put the handle between your thumb pointer finger it is about 2 o'clock, a natural hand position and the yak is going straight. This makes sense to me, hope it works with you!

There is rain headed our way, were going to try and get out and do some fishing tomorrow if the shop is slow, wish us luck!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:35 am 
Site Admin

There is more to it than just the mechanical reasons for the handle position. The mechanics are related to the internal components and the available deck space.

Most importantly though, the ergonomics of the handle is quite good when it is turned to the right slightly. Your wrist has limited rotation to the left and right, so the off-center position is the best for comfort as Brad has described.

I never look at the handle anyway, so where it is pointed is not relevant.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

LUCKYBOY

I have not adjusted my rudder yet. But if you have the same thing on your outback, it's probably built that way then. I only got about 3 hours on the water and I think I'll put a few more hours on the water before I change it. I might mark the rudder amidships with a small piece of tape until I get used to it.

The Navy has a saying "If it's not broke, Don't fix it."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

undrh20hunter

Ive decided to leave it alone. Marking it with tape is a great idea. By leaving it alone, we preserve the total range of steering that is available on this type system.

Going to test the yak tomorrow for the first time to see what it feels like compared to the 04 I owned.

If anything of interest, will post[/b]