Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PVC Pipe Storage
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just bought my second hand Hobie Outback a few months ago, at which time I knew pretty much nothing about Hobies.
Wanted to put it on a trailer so watched some youtube videos and PVC pipe seemed the way to go so I've built a trailer and put PVC pipe on it which the kayak seems to fit nicely, and slides on and off real easy, I like the set up. As per the video I have attached each end of the PVC flexibly to allow some movement and allow the PVC to sag in the middle and fit the shape of the kayak better.

But then shock horror, I just read the online manual and it says do not store the kayak on PVC pipe. No reason is given.

Does anyone know why this is, and is there any way I can mitigate the situation, without having to totally change evrything?

Post subject: Re: PVC Pipe Storage
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

Stiff PVC pipes used as bunks along the scupper lines can cause the scuppers to push up into the hull and that causes the scupper area in the cockpit to rise. This seems to be an issue on heavier boats and possibly tied down tight which pulls the rails down as the scuppers are pushed up. Over time and loading Polyethelyene "cold flows" this is why we also do not want boats hanging from bow and stern handles. The constant load can tear the handles out. Same for leaving a boat on a scupper cart... not good.

If the PVC were light enough to bend and conform to a longer length of the hull, the issue may be reduced.

We prefer upside down as #1 way to store a boat, to rest on the rails which are the strongest part of a boat. Then on cradles that spread the load over a wider area.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for that useful reply. I'm not on location atm but on thinking about it, it may not be too hard to flip the kayak over and store upside down on the trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use 2" pvc on my boat lift bunks. I cut out 2 rectangle holes where the scuppers are at. This allows the hull to sit evenly on the pvc supporting the entire hull length.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for that Hobie 911.

I realised it's a simple thing to flip the kayak over and store it upside down on the trailer so doing that now.

Have attached some pics, 1st showing how the trailer is made and pipes on it and how the kayak was stored on it. 2nd pic is a view a view from underneath, and 3rd with the kayak flipped over upside down.

On closer inspection it can be seen the pipes were not bending enough and only the middle part of the kayak was taking all the weight.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Be very cautious with the tie-down straps. Snug, but not so tight that you pull the deck down and overload the bottom. Again... over time it can really do damage. Like dock lines for a boat... something like spring lines to keep the boat from slipping forward or aft. Takes less tension.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks MMillar good thoughts.

I did figure that would be the case, and the straps were only tightened when travelling. Rest of the time just sitting there loose, I take the tension off when I get home.

Won't be needed now anyhow with the kayak being stored upside down.