Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roof Rack Help
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi I just got a new Outfitter Tandem for my 12 year old son and my self I have I mini van (toyota sienna) with factory frost bars it is very difficult to get the kayak on the roof upside down by my self so I am looking for ideas tips or suggestions of what roof rack to get
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Roof Rack Help
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I do not roof rack anything anymore for just that same issue..., WHEN I did roof rack and I was alone, I'd put it on the rack right-side up, then stand in the passenger door and flip it over upside down. Did it with my Outback a few times. Not a fun way to finish up a long day of pedaling...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before we bought our trailer we would transport our Outfitters on the roof of our van, a Honda Odyssey at the time. I often went kayaking by myself (or with just a small kid or the dog) and developed a technique for loading and unloading safely and easily by myself. Here is the procedure I used for loading:

1. Place the kayak on the ground flipped upside down at the back of the van with the stern directly behind the van and the bow off to one side of the van just a foot or two forward of the rear bumper. I usually also place a life jacket under the stern point to protect it.

2. Facing the stern, pick up the bow over your head and walk toward the stern a few steps raising the bow as you go.

3. Now turn around to face forward (or not if you find this too hard) and walk sideways still holding the bow over your head, until you are directly behind the van and can set the bow down on the luggage rack crossbar.

4. Pick the stern up and slide the kayak forward until it is easy to raise the stern up and level the kayak.

Taking the kayak down is a reverse of the above, first sliding the stern back and setting on a life jacket, then lifting the bow and setting it down off to the side. Using this technique you do not actually ever handle much weight, especially over your head. I got to where I could actually load and unload quicker this way than while trying to instruct a helper.

One caution loading and unloading is that the kayak may shift with just the bow on the crossbar, especially if windy or parked off level. When loading I would usually put the rear hold-down strap on loosely around the bow before the final step of sliding the kayaking in. Likewise, when unloading, I leave the rear strap on but loose in case the bow shifts.

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This will help. I wanted to protect the rear spoiler on my Toyota Highlander, as well as keep my ProAngler 14 from sliding sideways in uneven parking situations. I glued and screwed two pieces of 2x2 to an old cutting board, then bent two pieces of steel strapping to hook around my rear crossbar. I set the bow of my Prangler between the two guides, then go around and lift the stern. The two Hully Rollers then guide and ease the boat forward.

I also made a safety block of wood and bolted it to the front crossbar (visible between the Rollers above). The drive hole fits right over this block to keep the boat from shifting forward/aft or side/side. View from the side:

Two ratcheting straps and two front tiedowns make the rig as safe and secure as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I get my 13' Revolution onto my 4-Runner's roof rack using pretty much the technique described by plfinch. I'm a scrawny and feeble old fart, but don't have any trouble at all doing it. I do two things differently than plfinch:

1. I set my kayak on the ground right-side up, and lift it onto the back of my vehicle right-side up, because if you lift the nose when the kayak is upside-down, all the kayak's weight goes on the rudder mechanism, which isn't a good idea. If you lift the nose when the kayak is right-side up, the kayak's weight goes on the stern end of the kayak's keel. Once the kayak is on the roof rack I flip it upside-down and strap it to the roof rack.

2. I put a towel over my 4-Runner's wind deflector before I lift the nose of my kayak onto it, so I don't scratch up the wind deflector.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will suggest several different approaches for you to explore.

Simplest is to get a roof rack from Thule or Yakima and add one of their extender bars that pulls out from one of the cross bars. Mount it at the rear cross bar and lift the rear of the kayak with its rudder and rest it on the extended bar and then lift the front half of the boat up onto the roof.

A little more involved is the Yakima Showboat 66 that has a platform that slides back past the rear of the car and provides a place to set down the kayak and then slide it all forward.

Most costly is the use of the Thule Hullavator which provides 40 lbs. of lift with its gas cartridges to lift the boat up and onto the rack. The Hullavator itself weighs in at 40 lbs. so it adds that load to the car's roof rack which may be more than it was designed to handle.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also just bought an outfitter and am going to be solo loading on the roof of my odyssey a good amount when fishing with kids. I tried the rhino rack universal side loader but it didn't extend far enough past the side of the van.

I just ordered the rhino rack t load that assists you in loading it by lowering the height of where you have to set one end of the kayak. I'll see how it works on Wednesday when it arrives.