Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bottom of Kayak
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi i am a new hobie kayak owner and i like to know how you guy protect the bottom of your kayak from urging it over the sand or floor all the time
thanks

Post subject: Re: bottom of Kayak
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

Use a dolly or if you have to drag... lift from the rear handle to drag on sand. The bow is a softer curve shape and will disperse the wear more.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't worry about dragging your kayak around, and don't worry about scratching the bottom. You can drag it around for years without damaging the hull at all. You bought the kayak to paddle in, not to look pretty on top of your vehicle.

Worry more about your back. Carrying a kayak around by a side handle is tough on your back. When moving my fishing kayaks any distance, I put them on a cart and tow them, which is pretty effortless, and avoids injuring my increasingly decrepit back.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Use a dolly or if you have to drag... lift from the rear handle to drag on sand. The bow is a softer curve shape and will disperse the wear more.

In the 3 yrs that I have owned Hobies, this is the first time I've heard that suggestion, and it makes perfect sense!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jcanracer wrote:
mmiller wrote:

In the 3 yrs that I have owned Hobies, this is the first time I've heard that suggestion, and it makes perfect sense!

Especially if you have the new and improved rudder on the PA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I put kydex on part if mine. it was a test and so far it's working. I'll do it better when I have to replace it but decided to leave as is for now.

here's a couple of pics.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a friend (and fellow kayak club member) who has done many multi week/month long adventures. A couple of years ago he was the keynote speaker at a paddling symposium. During his talk he referred to our boats as tools. The more you use your tools, the more they begin to look used.

Longbikermike
sent by iPad using TapaTalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I have to move my PA around on cement at home I use a auto creeper, once you find the balance point it works great. I also use Keeleazy to help protect the bottom of my PA, it has held up for several years now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

try looking on youtube.com under (kayak keel protection) hopefully this will save many peoples hard earned money and boats. Happy paddling

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

atavuss wrote:
If I have to move my PA around on cement at home I use a auto creeper, once you find the balance point it works great. I also use Keeleazy to help protect the bottom of my PA, it has held up for several years now.

Maybe a little off topic, but I have an Outback with the famous "crack at front of drive well". I've been taping it with Girrilla Tape and that works surprisingly well for a single paddle (up to 4 hours on water). But after some time the tape adhesive gets waterlogged and some water enters. Have any idea if Keeleazy might be a longer term fix?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thomas wrote:
atavuss wrote:

Maybe a little off topic, but I have an Outback with the famous "crack at front of drive well". I've been taping it with Girrilla Tape and that works surprisingly well for a single paddle (up to 4 hours on water). But after some time the tape adhesive gets waterlogged and some water enters. Have any idea if Keeleazy might be a longer term fix?

No idea if the Keeleazy tape would work for this or not. I do know that the Keeleazy does not conform to the front of the hull's shape very well even after using a heat gun.
Keeleazy does offer a free piece of their tape on their web site if you wanted to try it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jcanracer wrote:
mmiller wrote:

2X. Thanks Matt... I usually pull it from the front because I have mirage drive installed!! May have to change my bad habits!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thomas wrote:

Not sure what year you outback is, but two year warrenty replacement with cracks or holes below the water line. Now if older then two years, then contact your dealer and see if there is an adjustment for the hull. YOu might have to pay a little, but better then trying to keep fixing the older hull and not knowing for sure then the weakness of the crack will give way to a larger crack while you are on the water.

Hobie is a great company and will do you right depending on the crack. It won't hurt to ask about the warrenty and hull adjustment. Good Luck and let us know how you were received by the dealer and Hobie international...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
Not sure what year you outback is, but two year warrenty replacement with cracks or holes below the water line. Now if older then two years, then contact your dealer and see if there is an adjustment for the hull. YOu might have to pay a little, but better then trying to keep fixing the older hull and not knowing for sure then the weakness of the crack will give way to a larger crack while you are on the water.

Hobie is a great company and will do you right depending on the crack. It won't hurt to ask about the warrenty and hull adjustment. Good Luck and let us know how you were received by the dealer and Hobie international...

You are right about Hobie. But somehow I've managed to get the same crack, right on schedule, just short of every two years. Hobie has already provided 2 replacement hulls …one free of charge, the other at a low negotiated price. But once again The Crack has reared its ugly head …and this time Hobie said "no". I am trying to keep my current outback alive while I consider buying a 2015 Revo 13. Aware that taping only goes so far, I stay off big waters such as the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, and have been paddling only local lakes with nearby shores.

I had already discussed the crack on this forum and after much back and fourth, the only reasonable cause for it seems to be that I have strong legs and I am tall, so even when I'm not pedaling, I happen to put stress on the pedals with just my leg weight. I'm hoping the 2015's, with the redesigned drive wells, have reinforced that front lip area.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thomas wrote:
Quote:

You are right about Hobie. But somehow I've managed to get the same crack, right on schedule, just short of every two years. Hobie has already provided 2 replacement hulls …one free of charge, the other at a low negotiated price. But once again The Crack has reared its ugly head …and this time Hobie said "no". I am trying to keep my current outback alive while I consider buying a 2015 Revo 13. Aware that taping only goes so far, I stay off big waters such as the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, and have been paddling only local lakes with nearby shores.

I had already discussed the crack on this forum and after much back and fourth, the only reasonable cause for it seems to be that I have strong legs and I am tall, so even when I'm not pedaling, I happen to put stress on the pedals with just my leg weight. I'm hoping the 2015's, with the redesigned drive wells, have reinforced that front lip area.

Do you have your hull stuffed full of pool noodles?