Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just curious what model this might be and year range (Oasis pre-2006?)

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/spo/4632310531.html

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Correct. Known as a Tandem. It became the Oasis around 2008 I think? We had an '06 that we bought in '07 and sold it in '10 when we got one of the early TI's.
It was our first Hobie and was a great kayak. That model had very few issues. I don't recall reading about too many drivewell cracks. Check the cam columns for cracks but if it's only been used 3 times??? shouldn't be a problem either.
I did replace the old style pull up rudder with the newer twist-n-stow.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

staktup:
Yes Stringy is correct, I would place that around vintage 2006, The Oasis came out a year or so later with the twist and stow rudder and a slightly different rear deck, other than that the designs were very close.
Here is the only pic I have of our 2008 Oasis, you can see the hull shape is very similar, has the same 8 inch hatches (which were brand new at the time, which are pretty standard across the line now). We absolutely loved our Oasis, and put thousands of miles on it.

The seats haven't changed a lot.
The Mirage drives are probably what we call V1 mirage drives, they can be updated to V2 I believe with a kit from Hobie, but why bother if they are in as good a shape as they look. Those Mirage drives alone are worth $400 to $450 each (new they are around $550 each), so $1200 for the whole works in a really good value (and they will still fit in even their newest mirage kayaks). If you do update the Mirage drives I would definitely update them to the bigger Turbo drives, basically the upgrade kit replaces most of the wearable components, but those drives look in great shape (look to have never been used), I would just use them as is for a long time.

As long as the rudder works ok I wouldn't bother updating it to the twist and stow.

I would definitely water test the boat before buying, and inspect the hull carefully looking for cracks (especially around the drive wells). Once the hull cracks, there is not much you can do to repair it (it's basically scrap, and usually can't be repaired easily). We have seen quite a few people on here (this forum) buy what they thought was a bargain on craigs list only to find out the hull leaks and the hull is scrap and can't be repaired on an old out of warranty or dis-continued model.
Great way to step into a Hobie (hands down the best recreational kayaks on the market). Once you start using the mirage drive you will never want to own anything else.
Welcome to the Hobie way of life.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the info, fellas. It had already sold; hate it when people leave things up!

I've seen a few of these "pre-Oases" go for this range of price. I now know what to look for and what to do as a buyer, having bought one with a suspect drivewell failure (I didn't water test it) :oops:

As the owner of a 2014 Sport, 2012 and 2013 Revo 13 & 11, I'm already enjoying the Hobie life!

BTW, I did upgrade one V1 drive to a V2 (drums, chains, sprockets, etc.). The holes were worn down and merging into each other, and the new drums have a metal plate sandwiched in to prevent this. I could have just use ss nuts and bolts at my preferred setting as others have recommended, but I also like the more secure mast attachment in the V2 vs. the set screw style of the V1.

Sick sailing vessel!