Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Voyager,
I am selling my 2012 TI because the wife and I are downsizing to a condo on the water in the near future....condos on the water generally have a kayak storage rack...but not for TIs...they consider it a boat and due not allow it. I fish andsail so I was wondering how the revo 11 sails with the sidekicks? What type of speed can you attain...and what about upwind performance without a centerboard? Just wondering if the sail, furler and sidekicks are worth it? I am also split between the sport, revo 11 or outback. I fish west coast florida (tampa area) on the flats and mangroves...and offshore no more than 2 miles out. So, which yak...and is the sail, furler and sidekicks worth the price and hassle?

Oh, if anyone is interested in a mint 2012 garage kept TI on a 2012 trailex trailer, call or text me at 813.598.8151...I am in the tampa bay area.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mikesail
The Rev 11 sails quite well on all points but I don't have a gps so can't give you specific speeds, I would not sail it without Amas because it's a little tender, you will need the sail rudder as the stock one will be overpowered, Turbo fins seem to work well as a centreboard and you can really move with them, the Furler on the Rev sits just above the hatch which keeps it out of a level plane with the fairlead and makes it a bit of a pain to use, it works but not as well as it should. Overall I love the 11 but it is a wet ride, new seat and drain will help but water slaps in from handles, I'm looking at the new Sport , I like the size, more freeboard ( dryer?) the trays would be handy for fishing as well transducer ready is a bonus, I know it won't be as fast as the 11 but should be all right with a sail and same equipment

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Voyager,

I like the compactness and stability of the Sport as well. Moving up to a Outback adds considerable length and weight. My concern is the 225 lbs. capacity and leg length. I think a 10' kayak is fine...without mirage drives. However, it may be too cramped with the mirage drives. I'm 5'9" and 185 lbs. I'm concerned that with a cooler and fishing gear I'm maxing out the yak. An alternative is the Revo 11...but it is narrower and less stable so it won't be as 'good' for fishing. I think the Sport and Outback would be slower sailing than the Revo...but not by that much.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mikesail
I have been out on a 2013 sport and I found it fine for me as far as the Mirage drive goes with a 30" inseam...I'm also just shy of 65 years and weight will become an issue for me, if I was younger and stronger I would probably go for an outback...I load my Rev 11 in my Ram 1500 6'5"" box with the tailgate down and it works well....the Rev 11 with amas is very stable..I troll for salmon with mine ( not very successfully though lol)... When my dealer gets the new stock in I will check out the sport and 11 and decide then but am leaning towards the sport..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MikeSail,
I also live in the Tampa area and sail st pete beach and Shell Key every chance I get. I also venture into the gulf 3-4 miles fairly often and have sailed from Ft Desoto to Egmont Key when weather, wind and tide favor the expedition.

Bottomline, in my opinion, you can't lose with the outback--get the hobie cart that slides into the scuppers and add a furler for the sail and you can take this yak anywhere and enjoy almost any sailing condition.

My kit: My wife has an outback (2012) and I have a Pro Angler 14 (2012), both with the sail kit (turbo fins an upgraded rudder), neither of us use amas. Neither yak has ever capsized and I've had them out in winds above 20+ (not that I recomend it), with the sails furled of course. The ability to furl sails is critical and allows you to manage your sailing comfort level regardless of the yak you choose. In the future I plan to add a Revo 13 and a TI to my fleet--I do not beleive a man should have an upper limit to the number of boats in his inventory :D

Performance: My wife's outback sails FAST and stable; I would say a full .5 or 1 mph faster than my Pro Angler 14 (I have a GPS on my pro angler and constantly monitor speed), depending on the conditions. I either peddle to keep up with her outback or she furls her sail a little to slow down. For the Pro Angler, in 8-10 knots wind I can do about 3mph on a reach and running, but have had it over 4mph (without peddaling)--and the outback smokes my pro angler every time.

Usage: I usually have my pro angler loaded with a few folded chairs, cooler, and large beach umbrella. We use the Pro Angler as the "cargo ship" for our expeditions. The outback is the speed demon of the two and my wife loves it. FYI, I made our own furling kit using about $5 in PVC (youtube has many videos on how to make them), which in my opinion is easier to rig and use than the hobie kit.

I keep both yaks on a trailer, but also have the hobie cart (foam wheels) and can easily walk my wife's outback to the beach (I live about an 8 minute walk from the beach).

Good luck with your decision--you'll win regardless of the boat you choose.