Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:53 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

skymax wrote:
Ah darn it, I had a non-swivel cleat on the boat but it did not have a free enough range of movement and sometimes the rope just would not run on the wheel, so I took it back to the shop and exchanged it for a more-expensive swivel type :(

Just one question, what do you use to secure the other end of the mast when stowed?

The swivel block will work fine -- just be careful to get all the twist and kinks out of your mainsheet before you get aboard.

Mine just sits there, but you can rig a small line or bungee or tuck it under your seat strap. It's the forward end that tends to slide off if you don't have something to secure it. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KK.

http://202.60.65.6/SkyMax/index.php?alb ... 022285.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Max,
I’m assuming your questions on 4 May were addressed to me, so I will try to answer them. If anyone else would like to comment, feel free.

1. Mounting hardware: as RR says, always use SS thru-mounted machine screws with Nylock nuts or standard nuts and washers, IF (big IF) you have inside-the-hull access. If not, I use #10 oval or flat head or sheet metal self-tapping screws. But I try to always use thru-bolted machine bolts whenever possible for increased strength, even on fairly stress-free eyepads (or padeyes, or pad eyes, or deck loops, etc.).
2. No shackle on the stern eyepad—just a carabiner for easy removal of the Harken block and for a clean fair lead and better angle to the forward block. I did use a shackle on the forward Harken block, however, for similar reasons.
3. I have gone over most of the stock Hobie internal hardware and replaced it with the thru-bolted stuff to eliminate the inward-projecting, very sharp self-tappers installed by Hobie, which can give some nasty injuries to either your appendages or your dry bags/flotation inside the hull. Here are a couple of examples inside the Sport:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good good, thanks for the info its all going in the To Do List.

I was suprised to see Hobie use ordinary tech screws considering the general build quality but I suppose that it is good enough for the application and only the kind of ppl that write in the Forums care about details like that.

Having come from a light manufacturing background (Aircraft), I know that things have to be built to a price and every little hardware improvement you make, or build time you add, increases the final cost to the Consumer.

I guess if there was nothing to tinker with some of the fun would be gone ; )

Next Thursday I add a soft tensioned baton to the foot of the sail. Now before anyone cautions me about this:
Yes, I am having a special sleeve added to the Foot and not using the existing sleeve.
No, I am not trying to create a Boom I am simply reducing the Luff and creating a better sail shape particularily for downwind trimming.
Report will follow.