Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Doesn't seem to make sense that this is a big deal... you can still upgrade now and for some time to come.

I guess it only makes sense to those used to sailing their Adventure using just the daggerboard, (Miragedrive pulled). :roll:
If you removed the DB from an AI/TI do you think it would be a big deal?
Of course it would because you are crippling the ability to sail properly.
What set the Adventure apart from the other kayaks in the Hobie fleet was that it was a true sailing boat as well as a kayak due to it's DB slot. In fact the DB had a dual role of stopping sideways slippage and adding stability, so losing it is a double blow.
Of course there will still be Adventures around but they will be lacking the great Hobie upgrades that have started now with the seat/venturi scuppers etc and whatever else is improved in the future.
And of course I could always use my drivewell plug DB holder that I made for my old Tandem on the Rev 16.

I guess I'm making a big deal of it because a truly unique and versatile craft is no more.
A kayak that has changed my lifestyle (I have been commuting in one for the last 6 years, more often than not sailing the whole way) is finished.
The Adventure is dead!
Long live the Revolution 16!
It has become just another run of the mill Hobie kayak, though still among the most versatile kayaks out there...just a little less so! :wink:
And that will be my last post on this issue ....possibly! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Totally agree with Stringy's comments. The new adventure is just another pedal powered kayak. Hobie has just lost the position of having the best (performance, accessibility, versatility, cost, robustness, etc) sailing kayak available - the new adventure will take its place alongside all the other kayak sailing options out there, but not ahead of them any longer, and I firmly believe that there must be kayak sailing products out there that will beat the new adventure hands down on balance of sailing performance, ease of use and cost... all you have to look for is one with a daggerboard or leeboards and it will be game over for the new Hobie adventure.

I wonder about another consideration:

I have an AI, the hull of which has been replaced twice under warranty with an Adventure hull. It is now outside warranty and I doubt (and would not expect) that Hobie will provide another replacement. Suppose another crack occurs. Will I be able to buy an AI hull as a replacement? In the past I would have been able to buy an Adventure and retrofit the AI kit to it, but what will the situation be in the future? Will I
A) be able to buy a replacement AI hull or
B) have to buy a whole new AI to replace the old one (with next to no chance of recouping, via the second hand market, the cost of the hardly-used AI amas, akas and sail that I invested in) or
C) have to buy a new adventure hull without a daggerboard slot to add the AI kit to (assuming that that will be an option) in the hope that it will have some use as a sailing vessel without a daggerboard?
D) I suppose I would be able to buy a second hand old-model Adventure with a daggerboard slot if one were to come up for sale, but over here that does not happen very often at all, and I would have to snap up whatever colour came up for sale at the time and run the risk of faults & cracks in a second hand boat.

On the face of it I am really struggling to understand why Hobie has taken this decision and what they see as the benefit to either Hobie Corporation or the consumer, past, present or future, and I would really appreciate someone from Hobie having a go at explaining it to me/us on the basis that there may be something that I am/we are not understanding...

...It seems to me that thus far the silence on this question has been deafening...

Matt or anyone else willing to have a go?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Side note id buy a useable set of amas and akas ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Used Adventure Islands come on the market here in California pretty regularly. I've seen some go for less than $2000. A lot of the guys in the kayakfishing forum NCKA, that I'm a member of, are looking to upgrade to the new model AI when they're available. Hopefully you guys will be able to buy a spare pre 2015 AI for a good price when people upgrade in your area. I'm really looking forward to the new Revo16 as I don't sail much with my small Hobie sail but I see your point of view regarding the loss of the daggerboard slot. I've sailed my 2012 Adventure with & without it & it does make a big difference. Something I'm going to live without to get the 2015 upgrades/new seat etc on the Revo16.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

...from New Zealand?!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stobbo wrote:
...from New Zealand?!

Ya didn't realize that....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How did the other 2 hulls break, stobbo?

(Call me paranoid)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On one boat both Cam columns snapped - I found out when I was waaaaaay off out to sea and opened the hatch only to see my sandwiches floating past in their tupperware container inside the hull :shock: I remember the boat feeling a bit sluggish and low in the water but it was quite choppy so it was a bit difficult to tell on the day.

On the replacement a tiny crack occurred at the front of the drive well - even though small, the hull still filled with water when pedalling.

Hobie was great about replacing the hulls though replacement took a long time because the first boat didn't actually have a serial number on it and the second was just out of warranty when the crack occurred. In both cases the boats (and me) were off the water for months on end but this delay is more to do with being right at the end of the supply chain than anything else I think.

I haven't retro-fitted the AI kit to the replacement hull yet because it adds additional weight and because I am not that taken with AI sailing: I far prefer sailing the kayak on its own. So all the AI gubbins just hangs in the garage as decoration for now. I had been thinking of setting it up as a AI again and then selling it 2nd hand to get a new Adventure instead - but it was a pretty marginal call. Now that Hobie has taken away the Adventure's daggerboard that is not looking like a good proposition any more and it looks like I am going to have to hang on to the AI - even though I don't use it - just to get a kayak with a daggerboard.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Good news for Dagger Board lovers!!

The dagger board had not yet been removed from the Adventure hull mold. We reviewed today and made a decision to keep the slot when we convert it to the Revolution 16.

Revolution 16 will have the dagger board slot and the option to purchase a dagger board.

It really is easier for us to keep it and since there is a following that enjoys sailing that hull... we agreed to compromise the consistency of the Revolution family features.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good call!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WOO HOO! :D :D :D
That is great news!
Thank you Hobie and thank you Matt for listening and reviewing your decision. 8)
A victory for sailing over marketing and engineering.
Happy days!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the update Matt. Any idea when dealers in the California SF Bay area are going to be receiving these new Revo 16's? I'm looking to upgrade from my 2012 Adventure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! What can I say?!!!?

What absolutely AWESOME customer service and responsiveness!!!

I reiterate: Wow!!!

I don't think I have ever come across a company which listens and responds so well.

I am totally impressed.

Thank you Hobie!!!

Great decision!!!

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Salty. wrote:
Any idea when dealers in the California SF Bay area are going to be receiving these new Revo 16's?

Since they had not started the modification of the hull mold (lucky)... and it is down the list of priorities right now... I suspect this will be November - December for first production, but that is totally a guess.

This is then primarily a seat, name change and removal of the Island related crossbar attachment hardware.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)