Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, was wondering if the Revo16 will be Lowrance ready? Also will the hull still have the reinforced areas for the old AI kit? & will the old AI kit still be available for sale? I also saw on the new picture that the daggerboard hole is gone & was wondering if that is true? Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:47 am 
Site Admin

No inserts for Island... No dagger board slot... Not yet Lowrance Ready, but I'm going to check further. None of the tech specs mentions it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:50 am 
Site Admin

YES! Lowrance ready.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is there a workaround for attaching a daggerboard or any substitute? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:00 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Diver_fcd wrote:
Is there a workaround for attaching a daggerboard or any substitute? Thanks
Get a 2014 model while still available if you want the daggerboard. Or you can make one to fit in the drivewell (stringy has done a great job on this): viewtopic.php?f=32&t=50153&p=227579&hilit=#p227579
8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A couple more questions for Matt:

-Why was the daggerboard slot dropped in the rebadging to Revolution 16?

-With the extensive mods to the mold that were made to accommodate the new seat and venturi scupper was anything done to fix the water funnelling issue caused by the integrated side handles?

To me the water funnelling is much more of a problem with the kayak than it was with the AI. A normally dry ride in small chop instantly becomes a wet ride with the kayak whereas I expect to get wet with the AI, so I dress accordingly.

PS: Thanks for the endorsement Roadrunner re the drivewell plug daggerboard slot. I hadn't used it in years but it looks like I'll have to brush the cobwebs off it if I upgrade. Actually I'll probably make a lighter one using the new drivewell plug, which looks to be better quality.
Now how is that upgraded AI testing going? I'm really looking forward to another of your excellent reviews.
I mean ...Hobie have already given you one to test ... haven't they???? :wink:

And if not ...why not Hobie? :?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Stringy, like you, I am totally baffled as to why they would they would eliminate the daggerboard. It accomplishes nothing, lowers the versatility of the boat and IMO will hurt sales. They actually had to spend time and money to do this!!

Similarly, with the introduction of the skirted Drives last year, it was a great idea but they lost the pitot tube speedometer capability. I rely so much on that instrument to keep pace, read tides and currents and detect fin debris that I'm keeping my old spines rather than "upgrading". Whatever their good reason was, it was lost on me!

I haven't seen the new AI in person, but other than the weight gain, it looks like it should really haul, stay drier and perform great! I'm hoping to get a chance to try it soon -- am thinking about selling my old one to get the new version. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, thanks for answering & so quickly too! You did miss one of my questions which was if Hobie was planning on continuing to offer the AI upgrade kit for those of us that have previous model years Adventure kayaks?

Stringy, I've been using a couple pieces of closed cell pipe insulation to shove up in the molded side handles to keep water from funneling in the cockpit. Seems to work o.k. although I was thinking about adding some neoprene flaps to the handles to make it foolproof. Right now I've gotta take the pieces of foam out in order to use the handles.

Thanks for upgrading the Adventure! I can't wait to try out all the killer upgrades.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner,
Agreed, it's very disappointing when something you relied on gets dropped for no apparent reason!
I don't know what Hobie was/is thinking. :?
Eagerly awaiting your AI review.

Salty,
Yes closed cell pipe insulation is a good workaround. I've been using the same since Slaughter first posted his clever fix found here:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=35258&p=142453

That was over 3 years ago!
The point is though that there should have been a factory fix by now and a better one than just removing the handles altogether, as seen on the new AI it seems. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What purpose would the daggerboard serve in the new Revo 16? It no longer takes the larger AI sail, just the smaller sail kit. While I don't have the sailing experience of RR, I found the turbo fins held vertical were sufficient most the time as a daggerboard when sailing non-AI products. Even in the AI, I noticed the most benefit of the daggerboard when the fins were out and the drivewell plug was in. I think the change makes sense, as they separate the Adventure from the Adventure Island, now the Revo16 and new AI design. Though I agree, plastic is plastic, what harm would it be to leave the slot in.

However, I'm now even more baffled, hearing they added the lowrance mount to the Revo16. It seems like they put it in all the hulls but the Revo11. Kinda goes against the argument that the Revo's are not part of the fishing line. Though I'm still hoping it's just a website error, or a quickly rectified oversight. Worse case, though, I guess I just glue the transponder inside the hull again. Not a showstopper.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

New2Yak wrote:
I think the change makes sense, as they separate the Adventure from the Adventure Island, now the Revo16 and new AI design. Though I agree, plastic is plastic, what harm would it be to leave the slot in.

How does dumbing down the best sailing kayak available and decreasing it's versatility make sense? :?
When the last of the Adventures are gone there will no longer be a a proper sailing kayak in Hobies line up ...only trimarans.
Yes, the Miragedrive is better than nothing but the daggerboard is what makes it a genuine sailing vessel. Those of us who prefer to sail with the drive out cannot understand this backward step.
It would only make sense if Hobie have plans to release an upgraded longer Adventure sailing kayak.
Maybe the new AI hull will be sold as a kayak after all???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's interesting that some people use the daggerboard only and some use the mirage drive only to sail the Adventure. I'm sure there are also people like me who use both. I found the daggerboard gave me a huge advantage over just the mirage drive fins. It not only prevents the kayak from heeling over quickly, throwing you off the boat or flipping it, but it also allowed me to point closer to the wind when not pedaling. Before I used the daggerboard, I used the sidekicks which slowed down the boat. Hopefully, Hobie will sell the AI as a kayak only without the AI sailing kit. For now, I still have my 2011.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Dagger dropped for weight, production complication and I'm sure that the primary buyers would not be sailing, but using it as a fishing / expedition platform.

AI conversions will only be available as parts remain in stock. I have even removed the kits from catalog pages due to dropping sales. Since no current model will accept the crossbars... sales will drop considerably. Piecing parts together from the new AI might work.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is very disappointing Matt. :cry:
My interest in upgrading has suddenly disappeared (just like the daggerboard slot)!
Thinking about it the new seat probably isn't great for sailing anyway. Leaning out you would have the hard plastic seat frame in the middle of your back.
Looks like I'll have to get the old Adventure before they become extinct. :roll:
It's sad that Hobie have taken this direction and moved away from kayak sailing.
I was reading back through all the old posts relating to the original Adventure (pre AI) and how every one was raving about the daggerboard sailing option which gave the Adventure it's edge.
Sadly that chapter is now closed in Hobie's history.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Plenty of the ones with dagger slots left and in used condition around the World.

Doesn't seem to make sense that this is a big deal... you can still upgrade now and for some time to come.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)