Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got a new outback hull in April and ordered a drive seperately. I noticed from the very beginning that when the drive is fully locked in there is quite a bit of front to back play. It's as if the drive does not seat quite deep enough but it is fully locked in. It moves/rocks almost a half inch up and down or "front to back" when you push on it. I just rigged up a couple of rubber shims to compensate and it worked fine. Well, the shims finally wore out and it started shifting again. I just made new shims so I guess it will work fine again but I thought I should ask you guys. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there any way to adjust the click n go brackets that are attached to the kayak? Is there any way to adjust this so it will seat tighter without adding any spacers?

Thanks for any help,

Lance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's normal and non-adjustable. Some boats have more fore and aft looseness than others due to variances in the rotomolding process. It is designed in to pre-empt any side to side looseness that would prevent a solid lock up for the Drive. Some people slip a bit of cut-off garden hose over the front spine tab to shim it.

When the Drive is operating, foot pressure always presses the nose of the Drive forward against the well, so it doesn't affect performance at all. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since you ordered and received a "new" Outback hull, it should have four slots in the drive well that are meant to make it easier to drop the Mirage drive into the click and go clamps.
I wonder if the separate drive you ordered is of the very latest V2 design....it has the two spines, fore and aft and two round, plastic drive alignment-guide in pins, that are molded on either side of the lower side drums.