Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
I have a 2012 Revolution 13 that I fish with and it has started to leak. I did the air test with soapy water and looks like it is leaking in the Port Side Cart Scupper hole. There is a sleeve in the hole and it looks like it is leaking between the sleeve and bottom and top of the kayak. This is strange as I don't use a kayak cart. Anyways what would be the best material to use to seal around the sleeve top and bottom? Prior to this leak the kayak has been dry as a bone and really handy to store things inside. Now after about 3 hours I have a gallon or so of water inside.
Thanks, Jim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:54 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Before you mess with it, it might be a good idea to show your dealer some pics and file a warranty claim. Otherwise, silicone sealant might do the job. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd file a claim, esp. if you don't use a scupper cart. I think the 2013 through 2015 models have reinforced scuppers now; at least my 2013 R11 & 14 Sport do. The scuppers seem slightly larger in diam, and have black plastic pipe lining the scuppers.

If you get a new hull, you can get the new seat if interested. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I filed a claim with my local dealer on 9/15 and just received a new replacement hull, 11/17. Kind of a long process but able to fish with my old hull so it worked out okqy.
I tried silicone caulking to seal the leak, but that didn't last very long. I was able to use gutter seal caulking and it worked pretty good for 2 or 3 fishing trips and then re-apply. Able to keep the leak manageable that way. I guess Hobie didn't have any olive color available so I got the ivory buy that's okay.
Anxious to try it out. Been kind of cold and windy but should be nicer by the end of the week.
The replacement hull is a 2015 and Hobie did away with the left side paddle holder? I used to put my stake out pole on that side and the paddle on the other. Now I will have to figure a new place to put the stake out pole. Anyone have any suggestions? I guess with the new seat configuration and the extra pulleys for the rudder there wasn't room for the paddle holder on the left side. Sure was handy though.
I wonder what it would take to upgrade my old mirage drive to the new Glide drive? Is Hobie going to put out a kit?
Thanks Hobie for standing behind your kayak and I am a happy customer.