Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone here come up with a way of retrofiting a Twist-N-Stow rudder onto an older Outback (2005)?

Oswald the Bold wrote:

I also have an older Outback (2005, I believe). I have the sailing rudders on all my newer boats with the Twist -n-Stow rudder mechanisms. I've thought about making a larger rudder blade for the old Outback. What I would really like is to replace the old rudder with a Twist-n-Stow, to which I can add the sailing rudder blade. It would really help to be able to fully ship the rudder when you're about to drift backwards into something.

What's the chance of getting a factory-engineered retrofit kit to put the Twist-n-Stow on the older Outbacks? That would be worth a couple of hundred bucks to me, to get it right the first time instead of dinking around trying to rig something up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8125
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8975

Take note of this from the earlier post:

There are two main aspects to this conversion:
1-Mounting the Rudder Mechanism to the kayak
2-Deciding on how you want the lines to work
As Hobie have changed the up/down line mechanism for the T&S on the AI and Adventure, if I was converting one now I would try to use the much improved newer system. I now have an 08 AI and I have fitted the upgrade to an 07 AI. It is a simpler line system that allows more positive lockdown and lift up. The AI line upgrade kit could probably be adapted to your Outback. You would have to add a pulley block on both sides in the bow for the lines to wrap around. As the Outback is shorter the lines would need shortening but I reckon it could be done.

Getting back to 1) though, you need to work out a way to attach the T&S mechanism to the older pull up system. The link details how I did it, though once again I would change some things if I was doing it again. I wouldn't cut the original lift up rod and I would notch the rudder for a better fit as RR suggested.
Hobie will supply the parts. I was surprised at how inexpensive the T&S with sailing rudder was when I first thought about this conversion so I ordered it in. You would also need to order a rudder pin. It made it much easier working out how to do it with the parts at hand.
Keep us posted