Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I live on a marsh in NE Florida and the Mirage system (Evolution Model)seems to be the perfect thing to explore this area. The one reservation I have concerns the oyster beds that are hidden just below the surface here. I don't want to have to replace the costly Mirage Drive each time I encounter one of these beds. I would love to purchase 2 Evolution models provided I had some way on knowing the drive units will hold up under these conditions. I might add that I am a novice to Kayaking and I am new to the area.
Any help in the matter is appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

lgibbs wrote:
The one reservation I have concerns the oyster beds that are hidden just below the surface here. I don't want to have to replace the costly Mirage Drive each time I encounter one of these beds.
Do NOT buy a Pedal Mirage if you plan on trying to pedal in shallow oyster bed reefs - you'll be frustrated.

I can't pedal my Outback right now in several areas due to seaweed that overwhelms the pedal units. I'd spend more time freeing the unit from seaweed than I would pedaling.

When you start pedaling in shallow area, you can bend your shafts to such a point that you can't even pedal the unit until you or someone else fixes it. Go with a regular paddle kayak for oyster reef areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:58 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I am also in NW Florida and use the mirage line of yaks all the time, we know where the beds are and simply pull the system out when we need to pass over suck areas, the replacement fins are cheep so get an extra pair when you buy the yaks for back up, stay away from the turbo kit, draws more water, however I have a rev in my back yard with turbo's...its awesome!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Gibbs,
I encounter oyster reefs just about every time I go out. If there is a strong tidal current running I sometimes get swept up on them--but not to worry--just get out your poling stick or paddle and push off into deeper water. Or, as suggested above, just pull the Mirage Drive (takes all of 10 seconds) and go to your paddle. Or just pull one pedal back and fold the fins up under the hull. Oyster reefs come with the territory in our neck of the woods. Got a few frayed fin tips, but nothing serious to date.

Post subject: Invitation
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have a great yak community in NE Fl, visit jaxkayakfishing.com. Several of the members have had Hobies for years, I just got my first one. If you begin your exploring at low tide you will learn where the oyster beds are. But the advice given above about using a pole or paddle is good advise. The peddles allow you to troll, get to far places, when going up a creek that you are unfamiliar you can than just paddle.
We are having a camp out this weekend in Flagler county, see info on Princess Place on the web, you could join us and meet a lot of great people and see a number of different yaks.

:wink:

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:14 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
this time of year we are getting really low tides, you can scout out the area you are going to be fishing in, good idea anyways you can actualy see whee the deep spots are, the areas with water left in them. what part of NW FL are you in. also check out this site http://www.fcka.net/

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Pacifico,
A hearty welcome to the Hobie Forum--one of my favorites. In fact, I just joined up with you guys in JAX. As Brad at Sunjammers mentioned, we also have a new kayak fishing group called the Forgotten Coast Kayak Anglers located in the Big Bend area of Florida.
http://www.fcka.net/cat001/
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dick,

Thanks for the welcome. I have read and enjoyed your reports on KFS for a long time. I also registered on the new site FCKF and see you joined our site in Jax. I have a cousin who lives in St Marks, maybe we can hook up when I come up to visit. Take care.

:wink:
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea Pacifico--I have been enjoying both the FCKA and the JAX sites as of late. My old fishing buds, bnz and LB, first told me I would enjoy the very active JAX group. Sounds like your recent campout and get together over that way was great fun, with some good fishing as well!

If you get over this way, for sure, give me a headsup and perhaps we can get together. We now have a pretty active group of yakfishers in the Forgotten Coast club now, and are even having monthly meetings. The next one is this coming Tuesday, 14 Nov. Here is the announcement:

"We are confirmed to meet at Old Mexico Restaurants on Apalachee Parkway east of Capital Circle. 7:00 pm On Tuesday Night November 14, 2006. We will bring a few kayaks out to the veranda and show what a rigged kayak looks like and how to set yours up to meet your needs. We will discuss anchor trolleys, milk crate storage, electronics equipment, and essential safety equipment."

http://www.fcka.net/cat001/modules.php? ... 9e422acd37