Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Shark vs Hobie: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/10/04/shark-attacks-kayakers-off-santa-barbara-county-coast/ I think I'll stay on the quite peaceful lakes, thank you very much. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

They call it Sharktober in that area.

Sharks are aggressively feeding there during the fall months. I am told that the Great White population appears for be growing too. As example, Sea Lions in the area were rarely found with bites until recent years... now it is more common.

I am also told that they appear to then move away from that area by December and January.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It makes me realy love the White River.
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A little more insight to the attack:

http://www.rapidmedia.com/kayak-fishing ... dium=email

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bodega Bay, Ca is the upper end of the red triangle for Great Whites. Great White sightings are very common during Sharktober in that area down to where the recent attacks happened.

Two years ago, my wife and I went to Dorran Beach Park at Bodega Bay, Ca., in mid October.

We had our Oasis with us and planned to launch it in the protected harbor a hour or so before high tide.

It was a couple of hours before high tide. So, we decided to take a walk on Dorran Beach, which maybe the best beach in N Ca. for walks as it is protected from the wind and faces south instead of west.

As we walked, both of us noticed that there were no birds on the water or diving into the water nor fish jumping in the near by water. Then, we realized we didn't hear any seals from the nearby Seal Island.
Normally, the seals are never quiet on the island. :?:

While we were walking on the beach, park rangers and a fish and game person were driving up and down the beach in a beach buggie vehicle, warning about an aggressive Great White in the area. :shock:

After we finished walking, we drove up north to Jenner and launched our Oasis on the Russian River which hadn't breached the summer/fall sand bar blocking the harbor. We weren't by ourselves as the launch area was very busy. We had an excellent time.

Later at home, we told our active outdoor sons about the Sharktober event and our change of plans. They laughed and said, "That was how we had made it to our mid 70's while enjoy the great outdoors, by not being stupid." :wink:

mmiller wrote:

Sharks are aggressively feeding there during the fall months. I am told that the Great White population appears for be growing too. As example, Sea Lions in the area were rarely found with bites until recent years... now it is more common.

I am also told that they appear to then move away from that area by December and January.
mmiller wrote:
Jump to:  
mmiller wrote:

A little more insight to the attack:

http://www.rapidmedia.com/kayak-fishing ... dium=email

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Grampa, thanks for the update. I have camped at Bodega Bay once and only had to deal with a skunk and my golden retriever.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

And what about the initial question?

"Does the Hobie Warranty cover shark damage?"
And if it does, what about alligators, crocs and humans with guns?
(I can't imagine anything more dangerous than the last one....) :shock: :shock: :shock:

best regards
thomas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, excuse me if I am speaking out of turn, but I can't imagine any kayak manufacturer genuinely offering a warranty against sharks, crocs, gators, guns... :roll: :shock: Even if they do, you won't catch me in the area where those dangers exist.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since many homeowners policies cover kayaks, I would think the shark hit falls under the category of "hit and run" and should be covered :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I can't imagine any kayak manufacturer genuinely offering a warranty against sharks, crocs, gators, guns...

I believe the original mention of warranty coverage for shark attack was in good humor. To be perfectly clear... It is certainly not included in the warranty policy as it does not fit the "defect in materials or workmanship" description which is the foundation of most all warranty policies.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Timely reminder that sharks will attack kayaks. An attack on an inflatable kayak occurred just a few days ago off the south coast of Western Australia, following on from the mauling of a surfer earlier in the month in the same broad region. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-11/two-men-in-inflatable-boat-survive-wa-shark-attack/5807214 (Maybe 'Sharktober' is a world wide event.)

When I was out in the middle of Jervis Bay (south coast of New South Wales, Australia) last Saturday, I came across two men on surf skis clad only in swimmers and tee shirts. The last time I saw them they appeared to be heading for the headland (Point Perpendicular). At the time, I felt like a bit of wuss with my PFD (worn, not stowed), waterproof marine radio and bilge pump. Not any more. The 'further details' links provided in various posts above illustrate perfectly why kayakers, especially sea-going ones, need to be carrying these safety devices.

Don't get me wrong: I admire adventurousness and will defend the right of persons to take part in sports that involve calculated risks. But personally I think I owe it to my loved ones to not find a dumb way to die.