Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pros and cons
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My Folks have one of these. 6 knots easily all day and storage to camp in some luxury!! Secondary stability fabulous. You do have to be careful with it and introducing newcomers requires more planning.

Must weigh about the same as my outfitter though. I can imagine a mirage drive version would weigh even more and be even longer. still be fast though!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:55 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Kal-P-Dal wrote:
pmmpete wrote:
Kal-P-Dal wrote:
I have participated in some races (with my Hobie Adventure) and for me there are some limits I can't pass. Maximum speed for a 10 km distance (about 6,2 miles) I can hold is 5,7 miles/hour (9,2 km/h). If I try to go harder my energy drains out fast. For distance between 40-50 km (about 25-30 miles), I can hold an average speed about 7,2-8 km/h (4,5-5 miles/hour).
Those are impressive average speeds, particularly over those distances. Have you pedaled a 13" Revolution, and if so, what do you think is the difference in speed between it and your Adventure?
Those figures relates to my BEST performance. On a race you allways perform a little better than you actually are.
I have no experience of the Revo 13. I will pass the question on to Roadrunner. He knows the diff between the Revo 13 and the Adventure.

The short answer is about .3 MPH faster for the Adventure in the low to mid 5 MPH range.

The "almost as short" answer is more at higher power (higher speeds) and/or more active wind and chop; less for lower power levels. Reasons for this are
1) Adventure design has a lower profile (wind) and can punch through chop more efficiently than the Revo 13.
2) as speeds slow, they get away from "hull speed" limitations; around 4 MPH and lower, most of the Hobie Mirage Drive boats are fairly comparable in speed vs. effort regardless of length. On the other end of the spectrum my best 1 hour "fast cruise" speed with the Adventure is about .5 MPH faster than the Revo 13.

The long answer is complex. Bob mentioned some parameters. From my point of view, actual speed depends on power and hull combinations as follows:

Power: There are 2 issues -- the Drive and the driver.
Drive performance has lots to do with speed. Having Turbos alone is huge! Having the Drive lubed, adjusted (including fin settings) makes a big difference. Excess friction and sub-optimal settings rob you of potential speed.

The driver has to do with leg power, seating position (specifically leg length), pedal position, and to a lesser extent, stroke efficiency. Practice makes for improvement.

Hull:
Biggest determinants are length, width and design (hull shape, rocker, etc). Weight is secondary. Every boat has a "hull speed" (don't bother with the formulas -- none of them works for all). I think in terms of zones -- a short zone hull speed (very difficult to exceed) and long zone hull speed (more forgiving and elastic so to speak). Outback is a good example of the former and Adventure is an example of the later.

That said, results will vary from person to person. For me, here are the average differences with Turbofins:
1. Tandem Adventure (18.5' x 30") dual -- fastest (and benchmark)
2. Adventure (Revolution 16) (16' x 28") -- -.2 MPH
3. Tandem Adventure (18,5' x 30") solo front seat -- -.4
4. Oasis dual (14.5' x 33") -- -.5
4. (tie) Revolution 13 (13.5' x 29") -- -.5
6. Oasis (14,5' x 33") solo front seat -- -.6
7. Outback (12' x 33") -- -.8
8. Revolution 11 (11,5' x 29")-- -.85
9. Outfitter dual (12.5' x 34") -- -.9
9. (tie) Pro Angler 14 (13.5' x 38") -- -.9
10. Sport (9.5' x 30") -- -.11 MPH
As you can see above, length doesn't tell the whole story. You can see the effects of power (dual vs. solo) and width as well.

Tip: you can increase boat speed as you approach hull speed by adding weight to the bow (single seat boats). Why? When hydrodynamic lift raises the bow, the LWL (effective boat length) shortens, limiting speed; bow weight restores it. Usually good for about .1 MPH in many applications. Weight varies according to boat and speed. I use 5# on the Adventure, 10# (dumbbells) on the Revo 11. A friend uses about 7# (padded rock) on the Adventure and always beats me! Keeping your boat on its lines at your cruise speed is the goal -- whatever weight it takes to accomplish that. 8)

PS. Bob, nice speed video!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

pmmpete wrote:
So based on the hull speed formula, an Adventure has a hull speed which is about 1.1 knots per hour (1.27 miles per hour) faster than a 13' Revolution. Which helps explain why Kal-P-Dal is able to pedal his Adventure faster than I can pedal my Revolution. In addition, if he's a racer, he certainly has stronger legs than I do, and is willing to push himself harder than I push myself when I'm out fishing.

According to Roadrunner, in reallity, the Adventure is no more than 0,3 mph faster than the Revo 13.
When Roadrunner is the driver.
Probably because the speed is way under hull speed and therefore diffs are less.
As said before, I can't reach hull speed more than very short periods.
So I am also way under hull speed.

Of course, I maybe have stronger legs and for sure I am willing to push myself harder when it is a race than if I was fishing. :D :D

br thomas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:56 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Evidently I missed a few posts yesterday.

pmmpete wrote:
So based on the hull speed formula, an Adventure has a hull speed which is about 1.1 knots per hour (1.27 miles per hour) faster than a 13' Revolution..
What formula did you use to get this answer??

Quote:
Which helps explain why Kal-P-Dal is able to pedal his Adventure faster than I can pedal my Revolution.
I think the best clue as to why Kal is faster than most of us ever will (regardless of boat) lies in his nick name -- Kilowatt Kal. :D How many paddlers do you know who can pedal for 24 hours? viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32518&p=126932#p128116

This is not to take away from Fjones' outstanding job -- great race and excellent review!! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

pmmpete wrote:
So based on the hull speed formula, an Adventure has a hull speed which is about 1.1 knots per hour (1.27 miles per hour) faster than a 13' Revolution. Which helps explain why Kal-P-Dal is able to pedal his Adventure faster than I can pedal my Revolution. In addition, if he's a racer, he certainly has stronger legs than I do, and is willing to push himself harder than I push myself when I'm out fishing.

So Fjones should trade in his 13' Revolution for a 16' Revolution! Then he'll be able to keep up with all those paddle kayakers.

I'd say its got at least 2 knots or more on the 13. Top speed is over 9 MPH