Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My boyfriend and I are looking to get kayaks and are familiar with the Hobie mirage drive system kayaks.
My question is which kayak is best suited for us? We plan to traverse various lakes and maybe even some ocean kayaking.

* I am 5'4" ~ 120 lbs
* My boyfriend is 6'2" ~ 180 lbs

Thanks in advance for experience/feedback anyone can provide...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My immediate answer is that you're both perfect candidates for Revolution 11 and 13 models.
But, you both might like wider kayaks to carry more gear, or to have extra stability if you're not experienced kayakers, or to have the possibility of standing in, so you could go with a Sport for you and an Outback for him.

Really depends on your preferences. Go to a Hobie dealer and demo the units. Find what you are most comfortable in and suits your needs. I've used all 4 models mentioned above in both calm bay and offshore conditions, they are all seaworthy in my books. Plus all 2015 models come with that excellent new seat, so its hard to make a "bad" choice.

Edit: in full disclosure, I am 5'8" 210# so I am sort of in between you two in terms of height, and fit comfortably in all mentioned models.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was in your shoes a month ago - after trying my husband's Outback, I knew I had to get a Mirage kayak for myself. But which one? I loved his, but it's too heavy for me to try to carry alone, let alone get on top of my Tahoe, so that wasn't an option. The Revolutions were lighter in weight, but were longer than I preferred, plus they didn't have the side trays like his outback. I ended up getting a Sport. It has the stability of his Outback (I was able to stand in it) and he side trays I wanted, and the weight & length was perfect.
For reference, I'm 5'4 at 145 lbs and he's 6' even, 190 lbs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

PS. I've used it in calm, quiet lakes as well as choppy bay waters on a windy day, and waves at the beach. No problems.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AZ make sure you look at a tandem kayak.
Others in South Australia regret buying two singles.
One of them is always a stronger pedaller and can disappear out of sight.

If you're not contemplating sailing, there are tandems other than Islands.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I concur with ChangeMan about trying out a tandem. My wife has a Revolution and I have an outback. We had previously tried a traditional tandem sit on top, and I swore it would have caused a divorce due to our inability to coordinate our paddling cadence.
We subsequently purchased a used Mirage tandem for friends to use. Long story short, when we tried the Mirage tandem out, we found we really enjoyed it. One of us could stop peddling so the other could rest or take a picture, etc. we found we actually could carry on a conversation, rather than shouting across the water when she (usually) was ahead of me. We're now using the tandem as much as our individual kayaks, but enjoy both styles tremendously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Figure out what you want to do with your kayak. Do you need two boats or can you meet your needs with a tand. My wife and I looked at Revo 13s and ended up with an Oasis. This was a great choice for us. She has handled all our adventures well. She's been on lakes, rivers, and open water. I have even taken her out on an overnight trip from Willow Beach to Hoover Dam and back.