Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys

An ingenious buddy of mine has invented a system of inserting the Hobie Wheel Cart into the scupper holes just by lifting the rear of the yak & pulling a couple of cords/rope.

When not 'in use', the wheels are in the deck wheel scupper holes of the yak held in place by said cords/rope. He just drops them over the back of the yak, lifts the rear up & pulls the two cords, to insert the wheels into the scupper holes.

I took a basic video that shows how the wheels 'go in' to the bottom of the yak - that you can see here!

You can read the instructions on making the wheel retrieval system here (you will have to join up, to see the pics.)
http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41552

Last edited by aprie on Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Sweet!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Unable to see the video- do I have to join?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Damn, that's clever!
I have to see how I can achieve the same without leaving the bungies in since I do not take my wheels with me offshore. Now that I've seen it, I think I can work it out. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

...Damn, that's clever! I have to see how I can achieve the same without leaving the bungies in since I do not take my wheels with me offshore. Now that I've seen it, I think I can work it out. Thanks for sharing!.....

I thought so too - who knows, maybe Hobie will come up with something similar, cos most of us find it a real pain to retrieve the wheels - especially as we get older!! This way, you don't even have to remove any gear from the yak (or tip it on it's side) to insert the wheels!!

If you work out a way without leaving the bungees in place & the wheels on board - post it up on this thread, as I'd be interested in that too, as I don't take my wheels out with me either! Matter of fact, I've been using CTug wheels because I hate putting the Hobie ones in the scupper holes at the end of a long day's fishing!! :oops:

If you DID join KFDU - it would be well worth checking out his other 'inventions' too, as he is one VERY CLEVER DUDE!

.....Unable to see the video- do I have to join?......

The video is public, so anyone should be able to see it - tho you have to join the forum to actually see how Darrell put it together!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

aprie wrote:
Matter of fact, I've been using CTug wheels because I hate putting the Hobie ones in the scupper holes at the end of a long day's fishing!!

A million times this! I always ask a fishing partner to put the wheels in while I lift the stern of the kayak, but it's still tiring work with a fully loaded kayak!
I also dislike having to get all my gear sandy at the end of a solo trip so I can put the kayak on its side to insert the cart.

I briefly considered adding a kick-stand to the cart, you know so the cart will stand up, so I could just set the wheels up and lift the kayak onto it. Problem with this idea was the inability to "aim" the kayak or guide the cart to the scuppers. The rope/bungie at the top of each cart post (in your video) resolves this issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

....I also dislike having to get all my gear sandy at the end of a solo trip so I can put the kayak on its side to insert the cart.....

ABSOLUTELY!! In my old Sport, if I was careful, I could lean it on it's side without 'too much stuff' falling out (just loose stuff in the sides) and insert the wheels, but it was still a 'pain' ....... it should still work for the 2015 Sport tho .....

..I briefly considered adding a kick-stand to the cart, ....

Yes - that would work, but as you said, still tricky to locate the small holes tho!!

With Darrell's idea, having the yak still in the water seems to assist the 'pulling of the wheels thru the scuppers' - he makes it look just SOOOO easy!! Glad you like it!!!

I'll be interested to see anyone else's version on this thread - when you have it all up & running! :wink:

Feel free to post your thoughts on KFDU as well once you have joined - I know that Darrell would LOVE to hear your own thoughts on his idea!

Then go & put some trip reports on as well!! We don't often read of US Yak Fishing Reports! We'd all LOVE to have a go at your small and large mouth bass ...... ours are probably similar to your small mouth bass - and don't generally grow much bigger than 2kg-3kg (about 6-7lb and it would need to be bigger than 60cm/2ft to reach those weights), - tho I am sure someone has caught 'the unicorn' and not had it recorded!

The biggest recorded bass in Australia (eastern states only) is 3.78kg (8 1/2lb) would have been a sight to see!! They hit like freight trains, too!! :wink:

Here is my report on a 45cm one I landed last year on a great session with some buddies in a tiny creek
http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35614

My biggest is 50cm, but that was on bait.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice bass, I've never fished freshwater.
I guess because I grew up on a small island we only ever did fishing in saltwater off the coast or offshore.
So now I mostly take my Hobie offshore, and I'm loaded up heavily and pretty tired by the time I get back to the beach. Hence, this cart modification is totally worth pursuing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Jcanracer

....Nice bass, I've never fished freshwater. ....

Thank you - it was a fun session - I landed about 6-8 fish & my 2 buddies landed none! :oops:

I usually fish salt, too as I live on the coast - mainly estuary as my Sport is just too small to go offshore successfully (I get sea sick!). I am lucky that I have access to a small creek that has bass in them & am just over an hour's drive from one of the most popular bass rivers on the Mid North Coast of NSW, where fish in excess of 60cm have been landed (not by me!).

Re: NOT having the wheels attached to the yak whilst out (sitting in the rear scupper holes whilst fishing) .......

Hmmmmmm ...... IF you have some rope with a small length of chain and a clip attached to the chain (that stays permanently on the yak) ....... when you get back to shore - you can poke the rope/chain/clip down the scupper holes and then push your yak away to access (the rope/chain/clip should just be lying on the sand in the water by sheer weight) ...... then you attach the clip to a 'ring' that is permanently attached to the top of your Wheel Cart Poles ....... I reckon that it could work?? :D

You just have to make sure that all the rings & clips will fit thru the scupper holes tho for it to work smoothly! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys

Jump back on to this Thread - http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41552

some more of the guys have modified the Automatic Wheel Retrieval to be even easier still, with photos!! You will need to 'join KFDU' to see the pics - but feel free to do so - we love hearing from other Yak Fishers from around the world!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For me in my location, looks like more trouble than it's worth. What's so hard about sliding the wheels in manually in water deep enough? Guess location is everything.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

....For me in my location, looks like more trouble than it's worth. What's so hard about sliding the wheels in manually in water deep enough? Guess location is everything.....

Lots of reasons as given in the threads above ......

If you are young & fit & the water is calm & not too cold & you don't mind getting quite wet and with the very real possibly of tipping your yak over whilst trying to insert the wheels ....... that is fine.

As you get older & lose strength or have arthritis/heart problems & numerous other ailments that may preclude you from being able to insert the wheels out in the water & can't do it on land either with the bigger yaks ........

this is just an easier alternative

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just wade in while the kayak is in a couple of feet of water and reach under the kayak and put the wheels in through the scupper holes or take the wheels off. I am always dressed for immersion (as everyone should be) so getting in the water is not an issue. In the winter I do this when the water is in the 30s and the air temp may be as low as the upper 20s.

It seems hard to imagine what physical ailments could prevent one from inserting the wheels into the kayak in the water but allow one to pull the kayak out of the water on the wheels to wherever you are taking it.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In many cases, it is more of a comfort thing - even tho I haven't fitted the Retrieval System to my own yak ....! Matter of fact, I don't even have a Hobie Cart any more, as the cross bar broke some years back & I never bothered replacing it with another Hobie one cos I figured it would probably happen again! Personally, I use CTUG wheels!

I only have to wear immersion gear/kokatat pants in extreme cold & wet conditions in winter here - and that isn't that often. I only fish estuaries, rivers & dams, not offshore - and am rarely that far from shore of some sort ...... and usually put in/retrieve my yak at boatramps more often than not, so it is VERY easy to pull they yak to the car on a smooth surface - even tho I have arthritis. Often, i don't even take my CTUG - as I can unload directly into the water from the ramp & just pull the yak up on grass or sand next to the ramp if boats are using it, to put back into my Ute.

I also have a completely dry ride, and see no point in getting wet (up to your waist in some cases if you don't want to lift the yak up in the water just to insert the wheels) - you have to get wet virtually up to your shoulder too, putting the wheels under the yak whilst it is in the water - I've seen people tip their yaks over doing this & all their gear ends up in the water! ..... not my idea of fun.

Each to his own - this just gives folks another choice for retrieval - and some seem to think it a good idea - it is definitely becoming very popular amongst my fellow yakkers over here! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Simply love this idea, going to try and work on this idea.....

Thanks for the video