Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hobie kayak warranty
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys,

Just wondering what warranty you guys get on your kayaks over there from hobie??

I was looking at some over here (australia) on the weekend and was astounded to find they only came with 1 year on the drive system and 2 years on the hull?? Current domestic manufacturers over here have at least 10 years on hull, and even internationals (for us) such as Wilderness Systems offer lifetime on hull.

I cant speak for anyone else but this has significantly altered my view of what I should buy. If the manufacturer cant back the quality why should I hand over double (comparatively) the money for a hobie? Don’t get me wrong I love the functional designs and drive system of hobie, but $2600 is a lot of $$$ with only a 2 year warranty…. Should I be concerned?

Post subject: Warranty
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:32 am 
Site Admin

The warranties offered by manufacturers vary greatly. While "Lifetime Warranty" has a nice ring to it, I do not think it actually means that much. That is not a guarantee. They do not cover wear and tear, abuse etc. They are quite strict with the registration process as well. It only covers the original owner. Hobie Cat does not even require a registration for coverage. The fact is, a warranty is for materials and workmanship defects. These will appear quite soon if present. I think we can all agree that the biggest factor in a company's warranty is the service and response when a warranty situation arises. I think Hobie continues to be the best in the business on that.

I can certainly understand why other kayak companies will want to offer longer warranty periods in their advertising... that is the only way other companies can compete with Hobie and the Hobie MirageDrive powered kayaks.

Is a Hobie worth the extra money? Your comparison (double the cost?) has to be with a Australian domestic product?... and/or standard paddle model?... not really a comparison. Nothing compares to the Hobie product. It is its own category.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt,

So is it fair to assume that the same warranty is offered in the US as here?...that was my main question.

I understand that hobie is marketed as 'revolutionary' in the design of kayaks, and that may be so (the drive system anyhow). But the question still has to be asked, if you stand by your product (which you have every right to) why not offer a longer warranty if you can guarantee the material and workmanship? (that not caused by misuse or abuse)

My comparison on price was based on paddle versions of either manufacturer. Obviously hard to compare or put a price on a hobie mirage equipped version….. but its still just a kayak.

It is evident throughout this site and others, as well as talking to local dealers here in Aus that hobie's kayaks and drive system have had their fair share of problems, and i take the point that in all respects customer care has always gone above and beyond.

My main concern is that i will be outlaying the equivalent $$$ of a 14ft poly runabout on something that is only covered for 2 years and paying premium prices while cheaper, well known domestic and international manufacturers back their product for at least 5 times as long??

Im not having a dig at Hobie, just genuinely interested in what the reason is? Look at it from the new buyer / first time purchaser perspective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:27 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Grimo and welcome to the forum.

Yes, Hobie offers the same warranty in the US -- two years on the hull and 1 year on the drive.

One would hope that a warranty would insure getting a good product and a reasonable amount of time to make sure there are no defects or failures. It is promise -- taken seriously by some companies and virtually worthless in other cases. It has nothing to do with the quality of the product, as its only cost is ink on the paper. It is just as likely to be a marketing inducement as not. A warranty is only as good as the company. Then, it's only as good as the fine print. If the company goes out of business in 6 months, so does that lifetime warranty.

In my opinion, Hobie makes a great product. The design is award winning. The quality is solid. They offer a reasonable time to make sure there are no problems. If there are any defects, they don't argue, they just fix it -- no charge. If you're the second or fifth owner, they'll still fix it -- free. If you break a part three times (and not your fault), they'll fix it or replace it until it's right. Simple and straight forward. They don't promise more than they can deliver.

You may find a longer warranty, but I doubt that you will find a better warranty on a comparable product. In fact, I don't think, with the Mirage drive, you'll find any comparable product at all!

It's also important to remember that, unlike a paddle, the Mirage drive locks into the hull, making it vulnerable to all kinds of stresses and shocks that paddle hulls will never see. Not exactly the same use of the hull is it? This is a huge difference.

Have I put my money where my mouth is? I've owned Hobie Mirages for six years and currently have two. Having tried and/or owned other pedaling boats, I wouldn't consider buying any other brand in a pedaling craft of any sort. I like the company as much as the product, and think you will too! Take a close look at it, have a test drive and buy whatever you think will do the best job for you. 8)

Post subject: Warranty
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:34 am 
Site Admin

Wow... Thanks roadrunner! Couldn't be better said by us at Hobie.

Why 2 years on the warranty? I really don't think we have thought about it recently. We are selling so well that a change doesn't seem necessary I guess. When we started selling kayaks, we were selling sailboats with one year warranties. The two years was...well, double the coverage. Seemed that was the standard in the industry at the time.

As I think roadrunner noted, warranties are marketing tools mostly. A way to create some type of trust in the company. Hobie has already proven to be trustworthy. No real need for marketing of it now.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Amen and pass me my pedals :lol: I own an Adventure and a Revolution. Had a Quest but sold it to buy the Revo. Hobie is a great company to do business with, end of story as far as I am concerned.

Kyt