Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone installed deck lines on an Adventure? I want to rig deck lines all around the perimeter of the hull. The intent is safety - something to grab onto when overboard. What would be the recommended hardware? There seem to be a large number of alternatives (stainless or plastic pad-eyes, well nuts or lock nuts and bolts, etc....). What type of line would you use? Anyone have photos?
Thanks
-Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:19 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Personally, I prefer a clean deck, but do keep a bow line attached as part of the standing rigging. Expanding on that concept, you might look at 550 cord -- small , inexpensive and very strong; comes in different colors. You can use the bow pad-eye to anchor both sides forward. You can string through the cargo bay bungee pad-eyes and tie off at the aft cargo pad-eye or aft handle.

You would only need two additional pad-eyes amidships to keep the line outboard of the cockpit area. With your line well anchored fore and aft, your choice of amid-ship fasteners wouldn't be critical.

You could increase the utility of the amid-ship pad-eyes by also using them as tether points for gear (actually, any point on your deck line would serve). 8)

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Excellent suggestions. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've found rope on the deck does a great job of snagging my fishing line, especially at the bow and stern where I can't reach it, so I've removed the elastic lines behind the seat of my Quest.
If you want some safety action, try a length of rope with a caribiner on each end. Clip one to your body and one to the boat. If the rope gets in the way, coil it and use a twist tie to hold it together. This way, you'll be hooked up to the boat, but if you need to, you can easily unclip the caribiners(so the Coast Guard chopper can pull you up).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Heck, I'd leave that caribiner clipped so the Coast Guard gets my Hobie too :lol: