Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'day Roadrunner,
Over the years your reviews of Hobie's latest product improvements have set the benchmark and provided valuable info to help with purchase decisions.
I've always looked forward to reading the reviews of our 'Hobie Guru' and greatly appreciated your experienced opinions.

Your insights into Hobie's latest upgrades are much anticipated!

I'm just wondering whether you are intending to post any more reviews?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:23 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi stringy and thanks for the flattering comments! I seem to spend more time visiting grandchildren in Arizona these days. There is water there but most of it ends up in farmers' fields. I have a kayak there and am hoping to get some quality boating during the spring planting season when the fields are flooded! There is a local dealer in the nearby town of Tempe but I don't get the opportunity to spend time his newest gear extensively like I can here -- he probably doesn't like having cabbage leaves in his equipment!

Nevertheless, I'm happy to share my impressions so far.

I have tried the new GT Drive and think its great. I have a couple and use them almost exclusively. IMO the reliability is as good as the plain bearing model but with less pedaling effort, and more forgiving maintenance and adjustment tolerances. It's best advantage comes through in longer distances where its lower friction reduces fatigue.

Assembly and disassembly requires a little more patience since the bearings have to be placed individually. This is greatly aided by making temporary plugs (or saving the ones that come with the kit) the same diameter as the shafts. They hold the roller bearings in place during assembly and are pushed through when the proper shafts are installed. I like to use pictures for illustration in such situations, but unfortunately haven't gotten around to doing this yet.

I don't see any downside to the new GT Drives in terms of durability.

The bearings are packed quite snugly around the shafts. For my own use I have removed one bearing from each of the shafts to allow more rotational freedom for the bearings. In actual practice I can't tell the difference in performance and am not recommending that users disassemble their drives to do this.
I have also spent some time with the new Vantage seat, but only in the Revolution 11. Since the seat fits differently in each model, it's inappropriate to infer certain qualities with respect to the other kayaks. Nevertheless, these seats are all the fashion at the moment and Hobie has done an excellent job in overcoming some of the inherent limitations.

I see three solid advantages in the seat:
1. For all those who can't stand a wet butt, this is a Godsend!
2. The back mesh fabric breathes, eliminating sweaty backs and adding to overall comfort
3. The seat removes easily and makes a great camp chair -- comfortable, lightweight and versatile.

Seating comfort differs greatly for most of us. IMO this seat is more comfortable than its predecessor. I still use an i-comfort pad on the seat bottom -- it works great for pedaling over time by reducing pressure on the tailbone. Others find the seat very comfortable all by itself.

Adjustability is excellent -- you can angle the back, the bottom and adjust the lumbar. For the Revo 11 I keep the seat in its lowest rear position for stability reasons. Also with the Revo 11 it adds 1 to 1.5 inches of cockpit space for the legs, extending the versatility of the boat itself. This may or may not carry forth to the other models, depending on seat placement.

The seat has a hidden mid-back adjustment. If you find it a little flat across the mid back, you can loosen the two barrel screws (one on each back side-rail) to relax the fabric. This is not a Hobie-recommended adjustment, but I find it improves the seatback comfort and increases support near the shoulders. For those who decide to try it, you should 1) be careful not to unscrew the fittings too far, and 2) use some Locktite Blue to stabilize the new position. Perhaps one day Hobie will put a pair of knurled knobs there for easy adjustment.

The biggest disadvantage with the seat IMO is with sailing. It limits hiking out -- with the Revo 11, this is a big limitation. This may not be an issue with some of less tender models or with use of the Sidekick.

On the other hand, fishermen and those who sit in the boat for extended time should especially like this seat. My only advice is to keep the seat low for best stability. If you want to run with it raised, do a few hard turns and get a good feel for your limitations. This may not be any concern with wider boats -- Outback, Oasis and Outfitter, but I haven't tried these applications. It's always advisable to demo the products first whenever possible!

Again I apologize for not having more comprehensive impressions, but have enjoyed reading some other valuable reviews and comments by other forum members on the new products! 8)

P.S. The new scupper drain is totally cool. You can lock it open, leave it closed or operate it with the pull of a string. It needs at least about 3.5 MPH of hull speed to drain water from the seat area -- 3.7+MPH gives good positive venturi draining.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner and stringy......Hobie recently posted this really good detailed pdf on the new GT bearings assembly http://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachm ... 01z117.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Roadrunner for that info. Once again you've provided some insights that had not been posted before.
You've confirmed what I suspected about the new seats ...that they would be a big improvement in comfort/dryness but a disadvantage when hiking out. This is a big deal to me. Sailing the Adventure is one of my main activities. I really like all the positives with the new seat but not having a wrap around back is a big negative as far as I'm concerned. If I do upgrade to a Revo 16 I'd have to look at adapting a wrap around back somehow.

I really hope you get a chance to review the new AI at some stage ...that is when you're not so busy with the grandkids!

Thanks Dr.SC as well for that PDF link. Some great info there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Roadrunner, you mentioned the I comfort pad to help with reducing pressure on the tailbone.. I have pretty significant discomfort on my tailbone and have been looking for something to help with that. I recently did a seat mod replacing the stock seat with a Jackson elite kayak seat on my 2013 Outback. I find it to be superior in many ways , but guess what. I still have a sore tailbone. Can I ask you exactly what a I comfort pad is ? Could you possible post a pic or link for said pad ?

Ok, thanks for any input you or any others could push my way in helping with a sore subject....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:40 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

BossHoss wrote:
Can I ask you exactly what a I comfort pad is ? Could you possible post a pic or link for said pad ?
If you look at the online catalog, Pg. 10, you will see the "i-Comfort" seat pad (PN# 72020028). I replace the standard seat pad with it. IMO it works best partially inflated, giving excellent support and circulation. I don't go anywhere without it! Even if I'm sitting on a different seat I just set the pad down. It stays in position. When the inflation valve is opened, the pad automatically inflates so it's easy to adjust. A few users have had some leakage over time, but I have several pads (one for every kayak seat and a "traveling" stand alone pad) and never a problem (it's also warrantied by Hobie).

Some permanently mount the pad on top of the standard pad but I find it works just as well without, and prefer the lower CG anyway. Obviously there are a few different ways you can use it. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner, I love the new seat on my Rev11, the only disadvantage I see is that unlike the old seat that could be moved forward to accommodate shorter people the new one is fixed, last year my 6 year old grandson was able to peddal my 2013 Rev11 and my wife's Sport but won't be able to reach the pedals on my new Rev and will be stuck on the Sport. The 2015 Rev seems to accommodate the furler better also, not sure if they made some slight design change but I find there's more clearance with front hatch, so Furler does not have to be mounted as high.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:49 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Voyager wrote:
Roadrunner, I love the new seat on my Rev11, the only disadvantage I see is that unlike the old seat that could be moved forward to accommodate shorter people the new one is fixed, last year my 6 year old grandson was able to peddal my 2013 Rev11 and my wife's Sport but won't be able to reach the pedals on my new Rev and will be stuck on the Sport.
If he is close, you can use one or two of those old style square boat flotation seat cushions against the back of the new seat to reposition him forward. If that still doesn't do it, take comfort in the fact that he will be tall enough in no time! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Roadrunner ,,,,,,,