Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm pretty much set on joining the Hobie crew, and buying either an Outback or Revo 13...seems to be a decision many of us have debated.

What I'm wondering though, is how do you like the new vantage seating system. Is it a huge upgrade from 2014 and older models?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm still waiting on my 2015 TI, so haven't spent much time in the Vantage seats, but it didn't take long for me to find them vastly superior to the old seats. I have a 2013 Outback and nearly returned it because of the seat. *For me* it was nearly unbearable.

However, do note that many people find the older seat style just fine...

That said, if I were looking at buying an Outback now I might just go for the older model to save some cash. I kept my '13 Outback because I spent some time with some PVC pipe and fittings, bought a high-back Skwoosh seat, and now have a ridiculously comfy seat on it that feels like I'm on my recumbent bicycle. Absolutely my favorite kayak at this point.

One other advantage to the new seat is your butt can stay dryer. The Hobies tend to be a wet ride - certainly my Outback is in anything more than calm conditions (I do love plowing into waves and making big splashes! :mrgreen: ) and the seat well of the older models will fill with water. You wind up sitting in a puddle. With the Vantage seat, you'll still get wet with the splashes but you have a chance to - er - "drip dry"! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a link to my review on Yakfisher.net

http://www.yakfisher.net/smffiles/index.php?topic=9991.0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am buying my first Hobie kayak this week. :D I need to upgrade my fishing PFD. Looking for suggestions for a PDF that the flotation is high enough in back to ride above the Vantage seat back. I need one with pockets and a place to hook a radio.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I finally got a chance to try out the 2015 lineup: Revo13 and Outback specifically.
I love those new seats! No sacrifice in stability, I was able to sit side saddle and reach into the tank area of the Revo13 without feeling like I would tip over. Felt like I was sitting in a beach chair, a comfortable one! and even with the Outback's seat in the low position, I was able to stand easily (if that's your thing). You're going to enjoy whichever model you get.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I rented a Hobie almost two years ago. Loved the boat, loved the mirage driver, hated the seat. It just didn't support my back worth a flip. I just took delivery on a Revolution 16. The new seat was my main reason for taking the plunge. All I can say is, it's a night and day difference. I spent a couple of hours on it the first time out and was very happy with the improvement. Absolutely no back issues with this one. Now all I have to do is get in better shape! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Intrepid175 wrote:
I rented a Hobie almost two years ago. Loved the boat, loved the mirage driver, hated the seat. It just didn't support my back worth a flip. I just took delivery on a Revolution 16. The new seat was my main reason for taking the plunge. All I can say is, it's a night and day difference. I spent a couple of hours on it the first time out and was very happy with the improvement. Absolutely no back issues with this one. Now all I have to do is get in better shape! :)

Completely agree! I spent 7 hrs in my new Revo on Saturday in that new seat and I felt great, no back aches or numb-bum :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

antadi wrote:
I need to upgrade my fishing PFD. Looking for suggestions for a PDF that the flotation is high enough in back to ride above the Vantage seat back. I need one with pockets and a place to hook a radio.

New Hobie ThinBack vests are perfect for Vantage seats. See the new catalog, Page 2.

http://cdn.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/87367027-international-kayaking-parts-catalog.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)