Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: surf launching
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i have a PA 14 already for 5 years i would like to bust thru the surf next season and looking at the outback or revo 13 to go thru the surf new models of course gonna love the new seat how is the outback going thru the beach break live on long island ny looking to fish the ocean too great times in long island sound and bays with the PA 14 its hard to demo a surf launch thanks for your options

Post subject: Re: surf launching
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you tried going thru the surf with the PA? I would give this a try first and see what you think. Just make sure everything is leashed and secured, in other words, go into surf launching and landing as though you know you are going to roll the kayak. If prepared properly, no harm done, except ego. The Revo 13 and Outback, though easier to get thru the surf without rolling, are no different in that you have to be prepared for the random roll.
The only kayak I don't even try unless absolutely necessary is the Islands, unless in adventure mode. It's not worth risking serious damage to the kayak if rolled in Island mode.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A PA in a choppy surf of any size is almost impossible to get threw the surf alone. The outback can be tough as well. The Revo is the best choice for surf launches. Install drive on beach leash it back time your launch right jump in drop rudder unlesh drive and pedal like a madman.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Trying to take a PA thru a bad surf could be a real bad idea lots of potential for bodily harm if you lose it. Its not a small toy that you just pull back to beach. Used one for 3 plus years and almost all launches are from beach. Will go out an inlet if the surf is to nasty. Or use other Kayak thats better suited for launch.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2