Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Lurker here: I have an older tandem Hobie kayak, no one is certain the age as the serial number is not in the Hobie database - Matt and I have been over and over this. Anyway, She-who-must-be-obeyed wanted new (padded) seats. We purchased a set at the nearest Hobie dealer who said they would be easy to pull out and replace. Well, he was selling a product. Here's the scoop: The old seats had two nuts per seat imbedded into the hull. There were screws that went through the seats into the nut in the hull. The new seats have the large expanding 'sliding' nut I have tried to picture in the attached image/URL where the seat is below the snap ring where the brass section is located

I think I have two options: 1) Drill out the existing brass nuts and push the new sliding nuts through the new holes with lots of silicone to seal; or 2) Put the existing screws through the new seats, although I may need to purchase longer screws to go all the way through the thicker seats. I am leaning towards option two, but want to hear your thoughts.

Thx, Rob

Okay, let's try this picture:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, I finally read through the FAQs and saw Matt's posting of "Mirage Seat Peg Fit - Fix". Unfortunately I don't already have the hole for the seat peg. Should I drill out a hole in the hull? :o
Thx, Rob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you want to permanently install your seats to the kayak then I would screw your new seats down into those existing holes. IMO the type of expanding Hobie seat plug you have pictured never worked all that well even in the kayaks that had the holes to insert them into. That's why Hobie came out with the latest/newer quarter turn seat pins to replace the older expanding type. Both types really require the molded-in cavities in the hull to work though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would get a different, more comfortable aftermarket seat and just goop those holes closed rather than drill new seat peg holes, etc.. Get your money back from the dealer!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:11 am 
Site Admin

You have a VERY old version. You can not use the pegs versions. DO NOT DRILL THE HULL!

You simply thread a screw through the seat and into the brass inserts. "Permanant" attachment was the original way.

Should be a #10 x 3/4"

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think I'll head to the local hardware store for some new stainless steel screws. The ones I have seem to be a bit short for the new seats due to the thicker padding. The original washers look to be an appropriate size, though. I really didn't like the idea of drilling new holes and I was hoping someone would scream at me not to - thanks Matt. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

UPDATE:
I checked the second new seat expecting to see identical seat plugs, but instead found something different:
This one has been cut with a Dremel as I could not simply unscrew it to remove it from the new seat.

Now the new seats look like this:
I had put a touch of silicone sealant down although I am pretty sure that wasn't necessary as there does not appear to be any way for water to get past the nuts imbedded in the hull.

I can't wait to get out on the water. Unfortunately I won't have an opportunity for a few weeks.
Well, I appreciate the input.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Next time, if you should ever want to save the plastic seat pegs, just take a small metal pin or allen wrench and push the pin holding the D handle out. Hope the new seat works out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, punching out the pin would have made too much sense. :lol: