Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My local Hobie Dealer/rental center has a used Sport for sale at $1375. Or I could get a new Sport when I'm in Delaware next month for $2099 tax free, so only really @ $600 net difference if I have to pay tax to my local dealer . I'm not sure of the year of the used Sport (didn't ask yet, but it has a Black Lorance Ready plate on the bottom, does that make it recent?). It was one of their rental boats and I'd rented it a few times last summer and so it probably got regular usage but then they probably maintained it too, it seemed okay whenever I took it out. Trouble is, not having owned one yet, I'm not sure how to evaluate its condition. There is some wear on the hull but no major scratches or gouges that I could see. Some wear on the fins too, but nothing major and I might opt to install new STs anyway. There is a slight bit of rust on the exposed 1/4 inch of wire cable where the fins attach to the Drive. There are also two small Gear track rails added to the deck

What should I look for? How long should it hold up?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't worry about scratches, but check the hull carefully for cracks. And check the Mirage Drive carefully for damage. If the kayak has been used as a demo, potential buyers who don't know what they're doing could have run the fins into things. There are a lot of used Outbacks and Revolutions on the market because a lot of Hobie owners decided to upgrade to the 2015 models, which have the lawn-chair style seat, so check the internet for prices of used kayaks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think the Lowrance ready hulls came about in 2013 or 14...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ask the dealer to take it for a test drive, he shouldn't have any objections and as a rental shop, he's set up to do that. If everything works, it doesn't leak(check that by opening the hatch and looking inside after the test run), you like the kayak and you think the price is fair, then there is no reason not to buy it. Make sure the Mirage drive is not damaged or worn out. Cosmetic scratches are no big deal. Make sure you get everything that comes with the kayak(seat, paddle, etc.). Ask about the warranty. I believe Hobie's warranty goes by age, not by owner, so depending on the model year, you may have some warranty coverage left. I think the Hobie warranty for kayaks is two years and they have excellent customer service, so any problems you might have would be covered by the warranty.

Since you are willing to wait for a new kayak, you're in a pretty good bargaining position, you might negotiate the price after you test it out and find out about the warranty. Maybe you can get him to throw in an old PFD or something.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ronbo, I rented this boat several times last summer and it was fine, but I suppose I could ask for a pre-buying test ride to make sure it still is.

Unfortunately the Hobie warranty does not cover "any boat used for rental or in commercial service of any kind".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MHC48 wrote:
ronbo, I rented this boat several times last summer and it was fine, but I suppose I could ask for a pre-buying test ride to make sure it still is.

Unfortunately the Hobie warranty does not cover "any boat used for rental or in commercial service of any kind".

I would definitely test drive it to make sure it is in good condition even if you rented it before. That's a bummer about the warranty, I did not know about that. That stipulation even applies to Hobie dealers who rent kayaks? I wonder how that works with dealer demo units?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

By the way, ronbo, I found the section of your website, on chilly weather kayak wear useful. I had bought a farmer john wetsuit last year but after a long cold winter here in NY, the water is probably still a bit cold for me to venture into with my arms and shoulders exposed. The 2mm wetsuit tops I looked at seemed like they might be uncomfortable to wear underneath the farmer john, so I just bought myself a bit heavier long sleeve Hobie rash shirt from a local surf shop and I'll top that with a highly water resistant anorak I've used in the past for jogging along the beach during the winter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally I feel that, given the overall costs involved, $600 for the new low-friction mirage drive and peace of mind would be worth paying. Does the latest Sport model also sport ( :lol: ) the fancy new seat or or is that only available on the other models?

...but then it is easy for me to say this cos I am not the one handing over the hard-earned $$$ am I ?!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Actually, Stobo, that's the way I'm leaning. And it does come with the new seat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MHC48 wrote:
By the way, ronbo, I found the section of your website, on chilly weather kayak wear useful. I had bought a farmer john wetsuit last year but after a long cold winter here in NY, the water is probably still a bit cold for me to venture into with my arms and shoulders exposed. The 2mm wetsuit tops I looked at seemed like they might be uncomfortable to wear underneath the farmer john, so I just bought myself a bit heavier long sleeve Hobie rash shirt from a local surf shop and I'll top that with a highly water resistant anorak I've used in the past for jogging along the beach during the winter.

Wear the farmer john underneath a jacket or shell. The wetsuit is only in case you go swimming, which I advise you avoid if the water is cold, even with a wetsuit. I would wear a rashguard or polypro shirt(WalMart for about $10) under the farmer john and a jacket or whatever you want to keep you warm on top. Wetsuits don't keep you that warm unless you are in the water, you might even wear a pair of pants over them.

Good luck finding a kayak. If you can afford to buy a new one, that would be the best way to go. That way, if you don't like it for some reason, a Hobie kayak still under warranty would have very good resale value where a used kayak with no warranty would not. Nothing like a new boat that's all yours either. You may wind up like me and keep your kayak for a long time.