Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sun Shade
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I really love kayaking and my Outback, but it gets really hot around here, especially in the middle of the day, so I went looking for a decent sunshade and found this: http://shadedryboatfly.com. I just got it and I'm still playing around with what configuration works best (standard mounting or reversed and using the stock rod holders as mounting points vs. the standard Scotty mounts included - I'll update this once I've found what works best for me,) but it already makes a big difference in shielding me from the sun, although I've not tried it yet in the wind. Again, will update after trying it.

Last edited by dfrntsuthernguy on Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Sun Shade
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like a cool idea (no pun intended) as long as (a) its not too windy and (b) you aren't fishing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Definitely well done. Almost looks like it was made for the Outback without any additional gear to install.

Have you considered also fitting a removable small child in the storage area or stern with a gondolier oar?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MHC48 wrote:
Definitely well done. Almost looks like it was made for the Outback without any additional gear to install.

Have you considered also fitting a removable small child in the storage area or stern with a gondolier oar?

Lol yeah, that next on my "install" list! ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jcanracer wrote:
Looks like a cool idea (no pun intended) as long as (a) its not too windy and (b) you aren't fishing.

In my limited experience, if it's really windy it works better mounted in reverse from the install shown in my pics (which is the way it was originally designed to be used.) And yeah, can't help you with the fishing - to work with that, you'd probably have to design a hardtop/frame that could freestand on maybe rear mounts only.

Last edited by dfrntsuthernguy on Sat May 23, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jcanracer wrote:

Agreed! It looks pretty cool (again, no pun intended!) but the OP's picture has the boat on glass smooth water with lots of trees in the background to block any winds. That almost never happens in my part of the world! It might be pretty calm when I put in the water but it's also safe bet that it won't be by the time I get back to the dock. That looks like it has the potential to be an annoyingly efficient sail! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Para-kayaking?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Intrepid175 wrote:
Jcanracer wrote:

Agreed! It looks pretty cool (again, no pun intended!) but the OP's picture has the boat on glass smooth water with lots of trees in the background to block any winds. That almost never happens in my part of the world! It might be pretty calm when I put in the water but it's also safe bet that it won't be by the time I get back to the dock. That looks like it has the potential to be an annoyingly efficient sail! ;)

It's looks calm because it was a calm day, and that "glass smooth water with lots of trees around" is because it's in a lake cove where my dock is, not the open part of the lake. I'm still experimenting with what works best for me, and when I'm done, I'll update this post and maybe add a new pic or two of my findings.

Last edited by dfrntsuthernguy on Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

UPDATE: Ok, as promised I'm finally getting around to updating my results with the Shade Fly Sunshade. Overall, I would say my experience is pretty disappointing. The fly is a good idea, and there's nothing wrong with the quality or the concept, but in everyday, real world usage it just doesn't work that well. The problem is that with only fixed mounting points on one end, the bungees allow too much movement in the wind. So while this isn't a problem in a no-wind situation, most of us always have some wind present when on the water, and often times it's substantial. So I really can't recommend this product as it stands unless you only want to use it when there's no to very light winds present. There was some promise of a new design from Dave at Shade Fly that was called a one-man canoe model and had solid mounts front and rear, but Dave recently reported the mounting points are still too long to use the Outback's stock rod holders. If something changes, or if the new product shows up and I have a chance to try it, I'll report what I find, but I always try to just report the truth as I have experienced it, and for now, this is where it stands with the kayak shade fly. Happy kayaking...

Last edited by dfrntsuthernguy on Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What if you crossed the ropes? That might help to reduce the flapping. Maybe add some attachment points outboard of the current tie off points to give the X a little more width at the base?

Keith