Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking at the Yakima Rack and Roll trailer 78". What mounts do you think would be best for a PA 14 and an Outback. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's quite high off the ground and loading a PA-14 is a challenge regardless of the "carrier" you decide on.
I use a Hobie Trailex trailer with 2 7/8" OD schedule 40 PVC pipes.......still need a winch for steep ramps.....My PA-14 is about 170 pounds loaded and I store it on the trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I transported my 2013 Pro Angler 14 footer on a Rack and Roll using Makos in the front and Hully Rollers in the rear. I purchased the Rack and Roll many years ago as I typically do trips from 400 to 1400 miles one way and I find this trailer meets my needs. Of the PA, I would like to say it was the best self powered fishing platform I ever had the pleasure to use. I sold it in 2014 for reasons having nothing to do with the Rack and Roll. As to the mounts, I discovered when I first loaded the PA on my Rack and Roll, the hull's weight caused the Hully's to tilt on the Yakima bar. I resolved this issue by placing pieces of bicycle inner tube inside the Hully mounts. After the tilting issue was resolved, the PA loaded easily enough. Due to the PA's length, I tied the front carrying bar to the trailer tongue to prevent any seesawing. Subsequently, I traveled a little over 400 miles from southern Delaware to the Adirondacks. During the trip, the PA did roll a little from side to side. I resolved this issue using paracord to stabilize that rolling. The Makos and Hully's had no trouble supporting the PA's weight. Overall, the PA traveled well in this manner. My Outback travels with no issues on the Makos and Hully's.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info...very helpful. Would it be ok to store the PA on those mounts between uses or would they dent the hull? Would be store outside under a tarp. I live in AZ so it will get hot in summer 100-115.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

all i do is strap pool noodles to the bars and then tie the PA 14 down so it is secure. I have had no trouble doing this as a way to haul the yak. Longest trip is two day but only 450 miles one way. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I never stored my PA on the Rack and Roll; therefore, I do not know how it well that would work. I had a dedicated rack in my shed where the PA set on 3 inch diameter PVC in the usual configuration.