Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,

is there someone who has a Oasis Tandem 2013 and can tell me,
If it is possible to use it only by myself (alone)?
Or is it not that easy?

First i wanted to buy a outback for fishing but i would get a really good price for the oasis, so i started to think about this one.

Thanks a lot for any help!!

Greetings Felix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't have personal experience with your question but I don't see why you couldn't operate a two seater kayak solo. Will it be the same as operating a single seater, maybe not, but you can't carry two people on a one people boat either. I'd try it from both seats (front and back) to see if which I prefer but if you're getting a really good deal, it might be worth any compromise you might be making. Of course, that'll be for you to figure out.

Good luck,
Steve R.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an old Tandem Mirage. It works great for two and great for one. When I'm out alone I always sit in the back to keep the rudder fully in the water. Taking a sunrise peddle on a lake all alone is a very peaceful and tranquil experience. Just my $0.02.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Depending on how much you weigh, sitting in back some people have posted that they fill water jugs and counter weigh the front of the yak to keep the nose down. I have not owned on, but I do have a iT14. And one person can work well in the back. If you have the model with two steering systems then you would have a choice to sit in either location.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:19 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Felitschi wrote:
Hey guys, is there someone who has a Oasis Tandem 2013 and can tell me, If it is possible to use it only by myself (alone)? Or is it not that easy?
The Oasis handles very well from either cockpit, but you should use ballast for best results. For sailing, sit in the back seat with about 55# ballast as far forward as possible. If not sailing it is best to sit in the front IMO with about 30# in the rear hatch. It's fast and fun, very stable and has loads of room! You can use the front seat without ballast with no problem, but ballast improves the handling.

The only drawback is its additional weight when loading. On the other hand, the Oasis is more seaworthy than the Outback, slightly faster from the front seat, more stable (you can stand easily in this boat) and has a huge capacity. I've used ours more solo than dual and think it's one of Hobie's best kept secrets.

IMO, the Oasis is the most versatile boat in the Hobie fleet and is one of my favorites either solo or as a tandem. This boat does it all! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's also a great time to pick up an older Tandem Island cheap, for even more versatility.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, I have a 2013 Oasis that I sail and kayak alone from the back seat. Sometimes I put a water container in the front seat area to evenly weight the kayak. Works fine. Bob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My buddy has an Oasis that he uses plenty by himself from the rear seat. We also do an eight day river trip each year and he loads up the front seat with tons of gear/coolers etc and it is really quite functional.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2013 Oasis that I fish from (mostly solo, but occasionally with a friend or visiting relative) once or twice a week for the past two years. I fish exclusively in salt water and, at times, encounter some fairly choppy waters. I agree with Roadrunner that the best seat for solo kayaking the Oasis is the front seat. I put 40# ballast (two cheap 20# dumbbells from WalMart) in the back which seems to effectively keep the rudder down. I think I could get by with only one dumbbell but haven't tried that yet. If you plan to fish out of the Oasis, you will find it to be an extremely stable platform (I like to sit "side saddle", while drifting and casting) and sitting in the front seat allows you some extra room for casting. By fishing from the front seat you do lose the use of the rear rod holders but I have compensated for that by carrying a "milk carton" (which sets in the rear mirage drive well) with a piece of PVC pipe zip-tied to it where I carry my backup fishing rod. In addition, I made another rod holder out of 2" PVC pipe that fits in the left side molded-in bottle holder. The PVC is a little too small to fit snugly into the bottle holder so I wrapped the bottom of the PVC with a few layers of Gorilla Tape to take up the extra space. Works great for me. If you would like me to post a photo of the rod holder just let me know and I would be happy to oblige.

If you decide to get the Oasis, IMO, you will find it to be a great all-around kayak. It isn't the fastest kayak Hobbie makes; it isn't the best fishing platform that Hobbie makes; it isn't the lightest kayak Hobbie makes; but it IS the best all-around kayak (again, IMO) that Hobbie makes and it's a really good fishing platform especially if you want to take a buddy along with you.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When we first started kayaking we bought a revo 13 and the older Oasis (2008 with only rear steering). The plan was for me to use the Oasis solo and the wife wanted her own solo (the revo). We got the sail kits for both, and kayak sailing ended up being our favorite thing to do greatly extending our range. Actually I dont recall ever going out without the sail kits strapped to the side of the boats. If we had favorable wind we threw the sails up, if not we just left them strapped to the side of the boats. I'll be honest because the Oasis is bigger, her Revo was a little faster. After a while we bought a second revo and used those for a while, using the Oasis only when we had friends along or a lot of gear. As we kept going further and further as our abilities developed, my wife would run out of gas and become exhausted long before me, It's not a good thing to leave your wife 5 miles from launch (lol) so often I would tow her back. We both still love what we do so we started taking only the Oasis out riding Tandem, this worked out best for us plus it is simpler for me to get down just one boat off the roof and rig it vs two complete boats. The Revo's ended up sitting in our garage a couple years until we eventually sold them, only ever using the Oasis. In 2010 we traded in the Oasis for a Tandem Island which when used in kayak mode (no big sail and AMA's) turned out to actually be easier for me to load on the roof (vs the Oasis) mainly because you have alot better hand holds, and because its a little longer, it's actually easier to lift one end at a time to hoist on the roof (less angle). As a kayak it turns out the TI is the fastest kayak hobie makes and glides thru the water like nothing else, plus it has more than ample storage (bar none the best kayak we have ever owned). The coolest thing about the TI in my opinion is we get two complete boats in one, we have a great kayak when we go kayaking (we are kayakers). Plus we have a fantastic family boat that we can take pretty much anywhere with as many as 4 people (with the trampolines installed). Of course we live near the Ocean in probably the kayaking capitol of the world (south Florida) and are out having a blast pretty much every weekend all year round. We are a little different than most because because our favorite pasttime is snorkeling and scuba diving (which includes spear fishing and lobstering). Thru the summer we mostly dive and sail near our other place in Key West and the keys. If we had to do it all again I wouldn't change anything (we started with the Oasis and were very happy with it, one person or two doesn't change much performance wise which makes it a very versatile boat, especially with the newer design with steering from from both front or rear with much more storage ve the old design, they made a great boat even better in my opinion.
Thats our story and we are sticking with it.
Happy Hobie owners who are living the dream life.
FE

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2014 Oasis and it is great. Fish and dive out of it. Use the sail kit all the time.
Took it to the keys this March for a month and peddled and sailed all over the keys.
Very stable, able to stand and fish in the back bays of the keys with no problems. Took it
Offshore with my wife some days five or six miles to some of the reefs.
I did add a second Hobie sail to the front which has helped the sailing speed some.
I have peddled it many miles from the front seat alone and it works fine.
Jim

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My friend and I make frequent trips to Isle Royale (IR) in Lake Superior (mostly using canoes). He purchased an Oasis a couple of years ago and I used that Oasis as a solo around IR. I packed all my gear in front and peddled from the rear. I had no issues with the Oasis' performance. I also fished from the Oasis when all my gear was in camp. Again, no issues. My friend used his Oasis in the same manner last year at IR and his experience coincided with mine.