Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The TIDE Apps Thread.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are many "Free" Tide/Moon Apps but most still require a fee for data access or future tides scanning.
Most require you're phones dreaded Global Roaming to be switched On for GPS and Tide data to be accessed by mobile. Some only give that days tide and some have glitches like leaving the GPS turned on when you close the App and running your Battery flat really fast. Some are just wobbly and slow.

Other "Free" Tide Apps hammer you with so much unsolicited advertising you will wish you paid the $2.50 for the ad-free version as the popups gobble your DL allowance.
Most people like the Curve Graph Tide display over Tabular info and most do not want their phone to make a call to a database every time they check the tide.

The one I use, "TIDE PLANNER" App for Phones. Free Download. Definitely for the Nerdy Skipper who likes to push buttons and experiment with strange Icons, has many pretty pages yet gives you local info as soon as it's opened.
With no instructions I was able to set it up for my area with a bit of fingerpoken.

TP is 20 MB because it has it's own Database and does not need to Connect and Download data so will work anywhere and give tide info instantly on any Global location. You can pay $5.00 and Download an Extension to quickly scan future Tides etc. Worth it since most Apps have an annual fee but don't give so much info such as Tide Flow maps for you're area.

Check it out here--> http://www.tucabo.com/products/tides-planner/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just get the Navionics Boat app. It has all the tide info for specific locations.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been using Fishing Times Free from Subclosure for a few years now. The free version allows you to look a couple days ahead, but I use tides4fishing.com for planning future trips. Then I use the app while on the water to watch for tide turns & solunar windows.
BTW, I use this on an android based phone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been pretty happy with the "Tides Near Me" app.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

daft wrote:
skymax wrote:
Most people like the Curve Graph Tide display over Tabular info and most do not want their phone to make a call to a database every time they check the tide.

The one I use, "TIDE PLANNER" App for Phones. Free Download.

You tease! That seems to be only for iphones... anything comparable for android?

And yes, it is incomprehensible to me why someone wouldn't stick to a curve graph. A text based "high" tide might just be a brief slight rise above low tides, and may even be lower than other low tides.

I follow daily or weekly graphs on a laptop, as well as monthly graphs on a physical calendar. Less useful is a solar powered tidewatch, because it generates generic curve graphs that don't reflect local terrain effects.

The Android is a great phone and the number of Apps is growing, it will be my next Phone, less BS than Apple.
As said below, "Tides Near Me" is one of the simpler ones, ask the posters below for local accuracy reviews on their Apps as an error of Six Inches can mean a lot to a Kayak Skipper in shallow estuaries.

The main things are testing the accuracy of the Database on a free version, avoiding popup Ads and deciding whether you want a Tide App that gives info for One day or a Week or for the whole Year.