Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a heavy duty cart from our local dealer and it doesn't properly fit my Outback. I am being told there is a new version that is wider that will fit the new Outback. Is this true?

My bushings don't get anywhere near the scupper holes. They touch the middle of the haul.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Fits vary due to variances in carts and hulls, but we did just get in the new versions with slightly wider posts.

Cart clamps do not fit all models directly under the scuppers. That is normal.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is it safe to not use the bushings at all with an Outback? Seems like it would put unnecessary pressure on the haul with the bushings.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

You will possibly dent the bottom without them. Hobie Cat engineers are confident that the areas near the scuppers are stronger than the rounded bottom.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Take it back...get credit, and buy the newer version.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Fits vary due to variances in carts and hulls, but we did just get in the new versions with slightly wider posts.

Cart clamps do not fit all models directly under the scuppers. That is normal.

Why are dealers not informed of issues such as this? A change in the dimension of carts? Seems like it would be good to know this out on the front lines.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Not all the topics we inform reps and dealers of stick or get to every staff member. Not every boat or cart has the issue either.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I'm one of those with a 2015 Outback that has slightly wider than normal scupper holes and I was unable to fit the Hobie HD cart I bought to go with it this past Fall. The online dealer I bought both the kayak and the HD cart from was able to work with Hobie and I ended up with one of the Hobie Universal carts, but by the time that arrived my kayaking season was done so I was unable to give it any real-world testing.

Fast-forward a bit and after having used the Universal cart, it simply isn't the cart for me. Like other's have reported, it is very slick and has a habit of slipping off from under the kayak and is difficult for me to put on by myself. So, I started looking for a non-Hobie solution when I came across this thread where Matt mentioned some newer, slightly wider Hobie HD carts!

I contacted the online dealer I had used before and asked whether they 1) have any of the wider Hobie HD carts in stock, or 2) can they contact Hobie to order me one. Their reply was quick and they reached out to Hobie first thing this morning and sent me this reply "Just spoke with Hobie, they don't have a wider beamed cart; the Hd cart should fit any of their boats though. Please let me know if you need anything else, I appreciate your patience!"

Matt, is there a separate part # for the wider carts you mentioned or is there a way to get one of the carts from the newer batch that should fit my 2015 Outback?

-Dan