Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The gulf of Mexico
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How far out do people go into the gulf to go fishing and or sailing? I will be moving to St Pete, FL soon and I am looking at getting AI so I can get out to deeper water greater than 60ft. I am coming from washington state and have a good bit of experience in my Revo 13.

Post subject: Re: The gulf of Mexico
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wood, take a look at a chart that whole area to get to that depth takes miles of travel. I was just there and did a half day PB out of pass-a-grille. We went about 15miles out and were in only 35' of water.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We live in the area and very seldom go out more than a few miles out into the nothingness. We have a TI all super rigged with massive sails and outboards, yet I'm pretty sure I have never been more than 5 miles out (in the Sarasota area anyway). We do a lot of 50-60 milers around the area but tend to stay in the intercoastals and near shore. It's really hard to comprehend just how massive Tampa and Sarasota bays are, and just how dangerous they are (the two most dangerous areas on the gulf). Even little Sarasota bay when the wind kicks up gets 4-5 ft washing machine chop where even in our heavily modded for offshore TI we are in great fear. Personally I'm pretty sure you will love the area I'm pretty sure there is more to do here than almost any other place on the planet with your Island, I'm pretty sure we have the highest concentration of Island boats anywhere in this area, and we all have a blast all year round.
If your going for the big gaming fish, take a charter out, or better yet just drive down to Islamarada and jump on a charter down there (probably the big game fish capital, and only 5 hrs drive away).
Hope you like good fresh seafood, it's the norm down here in restaurants.
Good luck
Bob

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Stop at Shaners deli in Pass-a-Grille. Get a tuna or grouper sandwich with LTO and horseradish sauce. Best $10 sandwich. Their smoked fish spread is good too.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Bob,
I love pushing the limits but will never step into the black. I will play all day in the gray. It looks like it will take, in a straight line, 15 to 18 km to get to the 60 ft line.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there anybody in the clearwater beach, fl area that fishes any of the reels offshore in a kayak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I have continued to go further and Wednesday I made it out past the 12 mile mark out of Clearwater, Fl. I fished Veteran's reef. If there is any AI or TI owners that would like to push the limits please let me know. It's always better to have someone to go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk