Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have decided on a Hobie Mirage Drive kayak. Bad shoulders made the Mirage Drive my best/only choice. Will use it for a little fresh water fishing and a little creek crawling here on Chesapeake creeks. Think I have narrowed it down on specs to an Outback or a PA12.

Background on me: Based on the posts I have read about the PAs, should note I weigh about 160lbs. Will transport the kayak in the long bed of my full size pickup-think as long as I don't have to lift overhead, should be able to handle the boats fine. Speed isn't a big deal. Will fly fish some-the ability to sometimes stand up would be a bonus.

Questions: Is the turning radius on both boats similar? Are they a problem to get turned around in tight areas? For cruising, which will track better? Will have to store outdoors and can sew up a custom cover(yep, an old sailor). Best stored on these "U" shaped hangers mounted on posts??

Going to bite the bullet and buy new; and, am hoping I can make the right purchase the first time(for a change). Any other things you might add or that I should be considering would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Speaking as an "old guy" myself...past 70.....having owned an 2010 Outback and now a 2013 PA-14, based on your use I would opt for the PA, especially for standing up to fly fish.
With the Vantage seat in the "elevated position", I think you could fly cast while sitting down in the PA.
You could add the H-Bar to make the stability easier while standing up.
The PA is wider and therefor more comfortable for me. :P

I find my PA-14 turns about the same as my old Outback IF you use QUICK, RAPID, SHORT pedal strokes........
The 2015 PA's now have the "tracking skeg", but I for one do not have tracking issues, even while down-rig fishing.

Lastly, demo both Hobie's so you can better form your own opinion before laying down your cash. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Retired Firefighter here, approaching 60 yrs old. I just bought a 2015 Outback. I definitely recommend demo'ing both if you are on the fence. Me personally, I only considered the Outback. My buddies have PA's and I have never been in one. I never considered one because I don't stand to fish, I'm 6'3 with a high center of gravity and never felt comfortable standing in my Slayer. If I stood I would have definitely considered a PA. I'm mostly a recreational fisherman, I finally went to the Hobie Open this past weekend due to constant prodding of my buddies, and had a blast, but will stick to recreational fishing. Can't compare the 2 boats, but for tracking on the Outback, I have discovered 2 things on tracking, you are making constant adjustments with the rudder under power with the Mirage Drive and it doesn't seem to track well when paddling. Kind of a disappointment to me, because I planned to use it conventionally on rivers with friends using non powered yaks. But, to be honest, I've been fishing a lot and haven't spent a lot of time paddling. I've read that the rudder helps when paddling and I will spend more time paddling when the fishing slows down. I absolutely love the boat and you will love the Mirage Drive. The Outback is extremely stable. I have fished ledges on Lake Barkley this weekend and Kentucky Lake previously with pretty brisk winds and never felt uncomfortable doing so. So demo if possible, but I love my Outback, the Mirage Drive, and oh my gosh-that amazing seat, I thought the seat in my Slayer was good. With no wind the Outback turns really well, in wind sometimes the rudder just doesn't seem to help much other times I can't get the boat to turn quick enough to suit me. I've found that if I flopp the rudder to the opposite side and right back, the boat seems to respond-odd. I transport mine in the back of my p/u, and saw several PA's carried in p/u's this weekend, shouldn't be an issue. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
If you are into fly fishing, sight fishing for stripers in your area is a hoot. I've gone all the way and installed a Stand n fish made in Sarasota Florida with the evolve rudder mounted motor. I control direction with my left foot and motor control is located on standing platform. Absolutely, a fantastic system on Revo 11. Now you can go the simple route, and install pontoons which you can use on outback. IMHO less weight saves shoulders and back. Unless you have good balance for age, pontoons are the answer. Also, you need to alter your casting stroke without pontoons. Much more versatility with pontoons. I only fished for stripers one week and being able to sight cast was a delight. You might want to purchase a Malone kayak trailer for the PA. Do try a demo and stand up in both. They make a standing bar for pa's. The new seat makes standing up easier. I use a rope with pvc handle to assist standing. What you need to ascertain is what type of flyfishing you like and what system is the quickest/ easiest method of getting on the water. Standing ,you cast less, fish more target rich environments. You'll love the hobies.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lt.kenson wrote:
Retired Firefighter here, approaching 60 yrs old. I just bought a 2015 Outback. I definitely recommend demo'ing both if you are on the fence. Me personally, I only considered the Outback. My buddies have PA's and I have never been in one. I never considered one because I don't stand to fish, I'm 6'3 with a high center of gravity and never felt comfortable standing in my Slayer. If I stood I would have definitely considered a PA. I'm mostly a recreational fisherman, I finally went to the Hobie Open this past weekend due to constant prodding of my buddies, and had a blast, but will stick to recreational fishing. Can't compare the 2 boats, but for tracking on the Outback, I have discovered 2 things on tracking, you are making constant adjustments with the rudder under power with the Mirage Drive and it doesn't seem to track well when paddling. Kind of a disappointment to me, because I planned to use it conventionally on rivers with friends using non powered yaks. But, to be honest, I've been fishing a lot and haven't spent a lot of time paddling. I've read that the rudder helps when paddling and I will spend more time paddling when the fishing slows down. I absolutely love the boat and you will love the Mirage Drive. The Outback is extremely stable. I have fished ledges on Lake Barkley this weekend and Kentucky Lake previously with pretty brisk winds and never felt uncomfortable doing so. So demo if possible, but I love my Outback, the Mirage Drive, and oh my gosh-that amazing seat, I thought the seat in my Slayer was good. With no wind the Outback turns really well, in wind sometimes the rudder just doesn't seem to help much other times I can't get the boat to turn quick enough to suit me. I've found that if I flopp the rudder to the opposite side and right back, the boat seems to respond-odd. I transport mine in the back of my p/u, and saw several PA's carried in p/u's this weekend, shouldn't be an issue. Good luck.

My 2013 Outback tracks really well, and I just demoed a 2015, and it tracked the same. From the issues you mention, I wonder if you are always making sure you lock down your rudder with the little down rudder holder on the lower right hand inside of the kayak? The first time I rented a Hobie no one told me about the rudder lock down bracket and I had a heck of a time with the rudder and steering, and it was doing similar things as you mention. Also, if you haven't upgraded, I highly recommend purchasing the sailing rudder for the Outback, because it does make a huge difference in turning ability! (Not meaning to be bossy, just trying to help!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

+1 on installing the sailing rudder to an Outback.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the same issue of not knowing about the rudder keeper on the right side pull rope. I also have found as above, that quick, short pedal strokes, while leaning the direction you want to turn, makes them turn as tight as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dfrntsuthernguy wrote:
Lt.kenson wrote:

My 2013 Outback tracks really well, and I just demoed a 2015, and it tracked the same. From the issues you mention, I wonder if you are always making sure you lock down your rudder with the little down rudder holder on the lower right hand inside of the kayak? The first time I rented a Hobie no one told me about the rudder lock down bracket and I had a heck of a time with the rudder and steering, and it was doing similar things as you mention. Also, if you haven't upgraded, I highly recommend purchasing the sailing rudder for the Outback, because it does make a huge difference in turning ability! (Not meaning to be bossy, just trying to help!)

Hey, thanks! Big help, I'll check into it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ordered a sailing rudder, many thanks to all. Now...do I buy the sail I was offered at cost???? Always wanted a Hobie sailboat as a teenager in Florida. Digressing from OP's original question, sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MikeinFresno wrote:
I had the same issue of not knowing about the rudder keeper on the right side pull rope. I also have found as above, that quick, short pedal strokes, while leaning the direction you want to turn, makes them turn as tight as possible.

Haven't found this rudder keeper, yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Open this link http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... 141125.pdf and look on page 18.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, went to the garage and found the book this morning, just looked right over that part. I was also looking for something "inside" the boat not inside the cockpit. Got it now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Retiredsailor: how tall are you? 160 is light, if you are not too tall a Sport might be fine and is the lightest of em all. Easy to car top...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Staking,
I'm 6'0". Had not considered this-guess I was focused on the longest length that would ride easily in the bed of my long bed pickup(no overhead lifts for me if I can avoid it). Thinking longer equals faster. Am I overlooking something here?

Thanks to others on the larger rudder idea to shorten the turn radius.

If the rain lays off, going next week to try out the boats and make up my mind.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Lt.kenson wrote:
Now...do I buy the sail I was offered at cost???? Always wanted a Hobie sailboat as a teenager in Florida. Digressing from OP's original question, sorry.

I've jumped off in the deep end this year, buying a '15 TI then going back for the sail kit and Sidekick amas for my '13 Outback. While sailing the Outback isn't quite the exciting and refined experience of the TI it's really nice. I also got Hobie's furling kit and was quite surprised how well it works. (Our winds this spring have been nearly nonexistent or very strong so furling is essential.)

I've long felt the Outback is one super-stable kayak, now I believe it even more. I'm just about to the point of leaving the Sidekicks off completely as they almost never touch the water when I've taken them sailing. Usually just a brief "splash" as a wind gust hits the sail, but I think even those I could handle without... One of these windy days (when the water's nice and warm! :lol: ) I'm going to try...

The best part is how quick and easy it is to set up. Just a couple extra minutes and I'm sailing. That's the TI's major downside, setup / teardown takes about 20-30 minutes each!

Fishing could be a bit cumbersome, it's a bit cluttered with the mast up and mainsheet attached. Not a big deal laying the mast down on the water but there isn't a really convenient out-of-the-way place to store it - unlike the TI, you don't have two akas to lay it across.