Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kayak Shade II
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, I am still looking for a good option for shade for my Outback, and so far it's looking like the only really viable option in the US is to build something myself out of PVC and Fabric unless someone here has found something that works that I haven't? I'd love to hear anything that's worked for others.

So far I have tried Shade Dry Boat Fly, and it's just not a good option for me because it's just not stable enough in any real wind. Ditto the Windpaddle product. Also tried the sport brella versa brella (too small and the mount isn't very secure) and a small boat bimini sold on eBay that's supposedly designed for kayaks (it needed to be longer to provide full coverage, and the width wasn't the 32-34" it was supposed to be.) Too bad Hobie doesn't design it's own version of a bimini specifically for their kayaks. Boatstogo did have a nice looking bimini designed for kayaks, but it's been discontinued. So, for now I'm out a pretty significant amount of money and still no viable sunshade. Right now my only option is to use my Anchorshade boat umbrella on the kayak, mounting it in the sail mount, but that's more than a bit of overkill. So, anyone found any other options that work great for them?

Post subject: Re: Kayak Shade II
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ever considered this? http://www.amazon.com/Windy-City-Novelt ... B00JUQZKZ0
It's a low cost solution and won't interfere with your fishing or casting 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
Ever considered this? http://www.amazon.com/Windy-City-Novelt ... B00JUQZKZ0
It's a low cost solution and won't interfere with your fishing or casting 8)

Lol, thanks, but I do already have a hat. I mainly use my kayak for recreation and exercise, not fishing, so I'm looking for something that provides more full coverage.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ha we have tried to use sombreros before on trips. The are too large and flimsy and blow and bend in the wind and end up providing little cover

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Getting a functional top for a kayak is going to be a tough call. No matter what you have, it's going to act like a sail when it's windy. I fish in a really windy area, I don't see either the Shade Dry Fly or the Windpaddle setup being a viable option when it's windy. Out of the two shades that you have, the Shade Boat Fly looks to be the better of the two, maybe you can tweak it a little to make it more functional.

A sun shade would be good to have when it's hot, for sure. I was fishing last week and it was near 100° and blazing sun every day. Even if I had a shade, there's only so much it will do.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got my family (wife & I) a 2015 Oasis. One of my first accessories was some shade. I got two of these http://www.sport-brella.com/shelters/versa-brella and attached onto the CT Vantage seats, which seemed a perfect fit. I first placed on the vertical portion of the seat (the back rest). Although it worked for the day, I question on longevity due to the stress. Perhaps better support is using the backrest adjuster horizontal bar. Umbrellas only $20/each!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tusokhan wrote:
I just got my family (wife & I) a 2015 Oasis. One of my first accessories was some shade. I got two of these http://www.sport-brella.com/shelters/versa-brella and attached onto the CT Vantage seats, which seemed a perfect fit. I first placed on the vertical portion of the seat (the back rest). Although it worked for the day, I question on longevity due to the stress. Perhaps better support is using the backrest adjuster horizontal bar. Umbrellas only $20/each!

Okay, that is something that I have been looking for for an upcoming trip on a river. What I was going to build and purchasing the umbrella would easily equal this. I will mount this to a PVC pipe for security.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've used the sport-brella, and I would say don't expect much. It's very small, so the coverage isn't good, and it's not a very secure mount for a kayak.