Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey guys looking at picking up a revo 13 for my wife. she doesnt go enough to want to justify the money for a 2015 nodel with the CT seat. what would you all consider a fair price for a like new 2014 model with the heavy duty cart and all factory standard items? boat looks pristine.

thanks in advance,
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is it from a dealer or used private?
All kinds of factors in your particular situation affect prices so I would only be guessing if it's Private.
The seller is probably Upgrading to a 2015 Revo lol so consider this:

When I bought my 2015 Revo 13 it was less than 10% more than the 2014 model and the 2015 model is so much more than just a new seat.

I was also aware that since the overall Model Upgrades this year that all pre-2015 models will now be considered somewhat, "Superseded", by future buyers of used Hobie's and the 2015 model will hold it's value much better.

Go and have a really good look at a 2015 Revo, see all the refinements in hardware and systems, many invisible, sit in it and play with the Seat adjustment, feel how much more ergonomic pedalling is with it and how much easier it is to get in and out of the new seating.

Ask yourself, "Post-purchase, in the long run will I doubt my decision to compromise on comfort, value and performance and have a constant wet butt to save a few hundred dollars" ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's used pricate. In really good shape, not even any scratches. Hd Cart included along with all factory standard items. Looking at $1600. Local for a new 2015 it is $2299 + 6% sales tax. She says she doesn't care about the seat as she is used to her current yak. I just want to make sure it's not a bad deal I suppose.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well it sounds like a good deal at that price and condition.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Picked it up for her today. Beautiful boat. Even still had the hobie water bottle still in the plastic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That certainly is more new than used!

The 2007 Revo 13 was my first hobie and many happy memories of a light, compact Kayak that could slide right into the back of my Hi-Ace van making everything so easy, enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hope to get her out on the water soon. Looking for a pair of st fins to throw on her. I hear alot of guys like them so much they don't bother with the turbo fins. My understanding us the st fins use the same mast as the standard penguin fin?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe so, I have always ordered ST Turbos's with every new Hobie so haven't changed them myself but I am a big guy, normal sized ppl may prefer them smaller.

It's more about the pedalling cadence but everyone has their own preference.
if you put a bigger Propeller on an Aeroplane you can run the motor at lower revs, up to a point.

My Hobie dealer says, "Bigger Fins = same speed with less RPM due to higher efficiency".

Recently when we were all battling against a fresh headwind and tide for some distance my mate with the small fins had to drop out, he just coudnt make way in those conditions, all the guys with ST Turbos made it. (Robbo is over 6ft and not a weakling either, he changed to Turbos after that.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just want to get her something a little better than the penguin fins yet not have to exert too much extra force. A local guy has a set of st take off from his new outback for $70. Doesn't seem too bad seeing as hobie gets $40 a piece for st and $140 for st turbos and masts. Or would she be better off with turbos.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mebe007 wrote:
I just want to get her something a little better than the penguin fins yet not have to exert too much extra force. A local guy has a set of st take off from his new outback for $70. Doesn't seem too bad seeing as hobie gets $40 a piece for st and $140 for st turbos and masts. Or would she be better off with turbos.

Has you're lady actually tried the Turbo's or are you assuming that they will not suit her?
There is no extra load if you pedal more slowly but since I don't know about age, fitness and stamina of your partner its hard to say.

I can say that I don't know a single male Hobie owner that doesn't use the large size, they are only 2" longer than ST's and not a hugely noticeable difference in pressure, once the boat is moving it takes only a little energy to keep moving.

Why not get the Turbo's for yourself and put the small stock ones on for your wife when she uses it if she doesn't like the large ones?
I guess its a matter of how often each of you use the boat, my guess is you will be the predominant skipper and you're Lady will find the Turbo's OK too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put turbos on my revo13 4 months back and was pleased to find they take no extra effort. First time out I was trying too hard and got a bit tired, but quickly learned that a lot less effort than previously would give the same results as the old fins. Using the same effort as before I am able to go faster. I also find shorter strokes make for smoother peddling.