Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Hobie Yakkers! Brand new Outback owner here. The front hatch lid is a PITA, as another user posted. Very difficult to close with the front strap provided; and the lid doesn't go far enough back and likes to close by itself. Can the lid be changed or replaced or something?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might consider shortening the front bungee so the lid has more tension to stay open....And/Or.....consider changing the closure design to replicate the Revolution kayaks.....simple to copy and implement.

I owned a 2010 Outback and did not find the open/closure design to be problematic.....it's the same as your 2015 Outback.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the idea. It could be a simple issue of familiarity or upper body strength - one reason I went with the mirage system is a serious lack of upper body strength.

so, being a mechanically-challenged female type, your suggestion is to cut one of the cords holding the lid and re-tie it so it is shorter? I can't find any way to get to any screws or openings where I can adjust the cord without having to cut it. There is a sort of round -topped deal on top of the lid that refuses to move - I can't lift, turn or twist it, so I guess it is out. There are flaps under the lid that cover some screws - again I can't budge them. so cutting the cord to increase tension is the right way to go??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since this is a new kayak, why not contact you Hobie Dealer and ask them to shorten the forward bungee....Since I no longer have my Outback I can't look at it.....but I recall the bungee length can be accessed by unscrewing a "cover cap" on either end as the bungee is replaceable if broken.
So, don't just cut it without first removing the hardware.....Your Dealer will know how to accomplish this task.
I should add that, I will bet, the Dealers staff would "really help you" if you brought donuts or cookies too!

One way/idea to connect the closure/hold closed bungee, to the "button/eyelet post" that the cord is stretched around is to use some mechanical leverage to stretch the cord.
Think of using a cheap, strong stainless steel table spoon that you use to leverage the cord, over the post by placing the curved spoon on the post and then slide the bungee over the handle....lift the handle so the bungee slides down the spoon shaft and over the spoon, on to the post.
I hope you can visualize this :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tip!! I will be stopping in at the dealer tomorrow, so will wear something low cut and ask for help!! (not much of a cook!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Women....they can be persuasive!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Samart wrote:
Hey Hobie Yakkers! Brand new Outback owner here. The front hatch lid is a PITA, as another user posted. Very difficult to close with the front strap provided; and the lid doesn't go far enough back and likes to close by itself. Can the lid be changed or replaced or something?

Here's a solution I'm trying. I received the idea from another site. I used the rear carry handle for this. I'm hoping this helps me too. Here's a picture.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

got it!! Didn't even have to take it in - did it all by myself! I AM WOMAN!!!!