Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nocqua Lights?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have any experience with these lights; especially on a Hobie kayak? I was thinking of getting a couple of sets for me and my son. The cost is a major deterrent. On the other hand, I like the idea of being able to transfer them between boats as we also have other kayaks.

Here is the link to the web site: http://nocqua.com/shop/

Post subject: Re: Nocqua Lights?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We go down to Key West a lot, something like this would be awesome in the crystal clear water down there. We have a Tandem Island that has all the nav lights and we have had it out at night a couple times (finding our launch point in the dark was a challenge (lucky I had my car remote, a good spotlight is highly recommended to spot marker bouys (yea we hit one of them)). We stayed at a resort down there a few times with our RV that had canals behind the camp sites (blue water resort at mm13). Most of the docks had underwater lights, we would just watch them from the dock at night. Fish seem to be attracted to them. I think it would be awesome for night time snorkeling, however, Florida is the shark capital of the world, and I believe sharks are most active at night, so snorkeling at night might not be a good idea. sure would be cool though, but kind of pricey at $200 bucks.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like them, I want them, but I have no idea how one would run the power lines since we don't have as many scupper holes as other sit on top kayaks.

Post subject: Re: c Lights?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't know about the lights, but their power pack is pretty incredible. Smallest, completely waterproof, longest lasting (4400 mah 12v), rechargeable lithium-ion pack I could find other than making it myself from power tool batteries, which for 4400 mah are a bit cheaper but not as "together" as this pack. Used it now for a few months and works just great so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you purchase the power pack separately? What are you using it for?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Separately, no lights. It powers my fish finder. Based on my luck with it so far, I'll probably get a 2nd pack as well for backup for those extra long trips.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After thinking about it, I'll probably save my money and just use the glow sticks. They aren't that expensive and if I can find a place to buy them in bulk I might be able to save some money. Here's a photo of my son and his sport on the water at about 11:00 PM with only a couple of lights and some glow sticks. He had a lot of fun with just those items.