Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re-entry after capsized
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought 2 2015 revo13s.
Girlfriend capsized first day out...sail rudders will capsize boat. lol We are 58 & 59 years old. We can't get back on in deep water
. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Me and my wife are not small and ran into the same problem. We have a heated pool and practiced capsizing and re-entry for hours on end, if your top heavy re-entry can be near impossible from the side without something to assist. We tried several rope loops and such without much luck. The proper way to re-enter the kayak we were told is to be horizontal in the water grap the oposite side of the kayak and pull your self up, all sounds easy unless you are a little over weight, or you have very little upper arm strength (most women (compared to men)).
We always carry an extra life jacket (just in case). My wife on her Revo 13 with the sail kit either climbs up over the stern or she wraps the life jacket around the end of her paddle then places the paddle across the gunwales then climbs up from the side. It's way harder than most think, and a really good thing to practice for everyone. One time on our Oasis I was kayak sailing in big pass in sarasota while the tide was going out, I was tipped over by a big powerboat wake and couldn't get back on the kayak, I got exhausted quickly and got swept out into the ocean by the tide and had to be rescued. Even all that practice didn't help, it's ten times harder in windy choppy conditions. I believe the water was around 75 degrees at the time and I was pretty hypothermic by the time they rescued me (even with my wet suit on). Ever since then we never kayak sail alone. After that episode if one of us went over (which is quite often in the ocean) the other comes and steadies the kayak while the other person gets back on. Anymore we only use tandem yaks with two people on board but thats just our preference.
On a tandem if you do go over, what works best for us is with one on each side, one person holds the kayak while the other person slides up (as discribed above), but they leave their legs hanging overboard (laying sideways), now the second person climbs aboard from the other side, once both are on then you both rotate into a sitting position ( this also takes practice)
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My local kayak shop hosts "rescue and reentry" classes. When I took the class I quickly found I couldn't reenter any of my kayaks (sit-in or sit-on) without some sort of assistance. For solo reentry that's an inflatable paddle float, which I now carry with me at all times. On my other kayaks there are deck lines to secure the paddle with but my Outback doesn't have anything so I also carry a cam strap to secure the paddle shaft to the kayak with. I have a red dry bag I keep my "safety gear" in, just have to make sure the red bag is with me on every trip - and properly secured to the kayak so it doesn't get lost but I can get at it while in the water.

If I fall in (so far only when practicing) I pull out the float and put it on one end of the paddle and inflate. Lay the paddle across the kayak behind the seat, thread the end of the cam strap through a scupper hole (I can reach it easily, the Outback is a bit wide to just go all the way around), pull it back up the outside of the kayak, wrap the cam end a few times around the paddle shaft, cinch tight - being sure to keep the cam in a spot reachable from the seat!

The float now gives me the extra support I need to climb back on. The hardest part in rougher conditions may be getting the cam strap released without dumping again. I haven't been in anything very rough when practicing, certainly not what would be seen in the ocean. I suppose it might be easier if I used the drive well to thread the strap through, hadn't thought about that before. Would put the paddle in front of me once I'm back on.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm older than you are and have dumped my kayak in some pretty challenging conditions. I kayak alone most of the time, so I figure I better be able to take care of myself in case things go bad.

First thing is to never panic. Practice self rescue, that will give you confidence in a bad situation. The rougher the conditions, the less gear I take with me. If it goes overboard, well, that's what you get when you push the limits. After going in the drink, I've found it's easier and quicker to get back onto the kayak over the bow or stern after flipping the kayak upright, especially the stern, because it's wider and lower to the water. Of course, if your kayak looks like a floating sporting goods store, which seems to be pretty popular these days. it might be hard to crawl over all that gear.

Figure out what the best self rescue plan for you is and practice recovery if you plan to go out in challenging conditions. Know your limits.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I made a rope ladder for lack of better words. It's a length of rope that has a loop one side to attach to that kayak in a place you choose in the center.

The other end has a piece of 1/2 PVC conduit, wide as a single foot, that you'd be able to place your foot in and push yourself up. The rope is run thru the conduit to keep it centered.

I'll try to give a little description. It's a 3 strand rope. The rope is run thru the conduit and a tail is left to weave thru the long length of rope. This keeps the conduit centered. The long end now is made into a loop or you can tie a loop to it. I just tend to like the slim line look of a weaved rope. Keeps the bulk minimal.

The length is also made so I can use it as a pull spot to roll the kayak over.

Sorry I don't have a picture of it or near my kayak right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Aside from a paddle float (which needn't be inflatable if you have space for a solid foam one), if you have a sail then putting our kayak side on to the wind and pulling the mainsheet in to centre the sail and so heel the kayak away from you will help offset the opposite heeling caused by your hauling yourself in over the other side. Works for me when I've practised it :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not sure if you already have these, but the Hobie Sidekicks probably would greatly help with reentry. The nice thing about them is that you could store them in the boat and blow them up only when you need them, even in an emergency where you've already entered the water.

Also if you have trouble lifting yourself up even with such stability, you may consider carrying a pair of swimming flippers in the hull. Also something you could put on after tipping and they really help propel you up into the boat.

Totally agree it is harder than most people probably realize and everyone should practice!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for your suggestions! Sounds like we need to experiment to find out what works for us and practice, practice, practice. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

When the weather gets as hot as it does here in Oklahoma, practicing reentry is a really refreshing way to cool off! :lol: (Especially in the OKC metro area where they don't allow swimming in the lakes. They're okay with us "practicing reentry" though... :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great suggestions here that I plan on implementing myself. Last summer, my daughter and I were training for a trip along the coast of San Diego. Besides just pedal/sail time, we practiced reentries. I had issues pulling myself back onboard. Never had this before and accounted this issue on my recent lack of a regular strength workout schedule. On top of that, my daughter and I got laughing so hard (at all my unsuccessful attempts) that it was becoming impossible.
Finally, my daughter jumped back in the water, held my Oasis steady, and I basically rolled onboard. In fact, I almost rolled over and off the other side. The laughter really got hard with that maneuver.
Here's my tip. Practice technique, maintain a basic strength program, and avoid laughing if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.kayakselfrescueladder.com/

watch the video and then order....you can make one yourself tho for not too much $$.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought a "Waterbug" about 3 years ago and it really works....I now have it on my PA-14 and makes short work of righting a "turtled" PA.....I then come in/re-enter over the stern.

It was originally bought for my Outback and stern re-entry was not so easy, hence the side re-entry on the Outback was the best option for righting and re-entry.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That rescue ladder is what I copied. Mine is basically identical and what I described above. Very easy to make.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

RONBO613

I really enjoyed your videos and DIY ideas. The Pacific Northwest Salmon fishing and commentary are thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks for taking the time to do the edits and sound cutting. Your work as a video editor comes through on your hobby videos too. Very kind of you to share you hobby.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased a quality rescue "ladder" from Save-A-Jake International company www.savajake.com. The ladder strap was 19.95 plus a small shipping charge. Save-a-Jake makes rescue gear for police and fire personnel, and it's American made. I found the rescue ladder under the Boating and Marine category. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk