Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My wife's Outback is having a small issue with the Mirage drive. The pin that holds the fin in place has a split ring on the opposite side. Not long ago we noticed that the rear split ring was deformed. No big deal we headed over to our local kayak shop to get a new one. A few weeks later I noticed that the same split ring was deformed yet again! What gives? Has anyone else seen this on their Outback? I do not think it is a huge deal but if for some reason the ring fell out then the fin would just be held in place by one pin instead of two!

Hobie PA 14 (His)
Hobie Outback (Hers)

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." -Mitch Hedberg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Install the drive and look at the ring area when pedaled... Likely you can shorten up her pedal stroke so she isn't pressing the ring into the hull at the end of the stroke. Adjust the pedals further away.

You may be able to add a pad to one end of the spine to change the clearance at the end of the stroke as well. Maybe tilted too far forward?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Matt's reply...however, you could always change out the split ring for a stainless steel cotter pin. if sized correctly, it will stay "flush or parallel" to the side of the fin. :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the input guys. I will check it out today when we get home. I was hoping it would be a fairly simple issue.

Hobie PA 14 (His)
Hobie Outback (Hers)

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." -Mitch Hedberg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

i would pull the pin and flip it around to the other side and then install the split ring.. See if this solves your problem...