Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking for rod extensions for my Outback. I have seen mixed reviews on the Hobie rod extenders but not much on the Scotty units. The biggest complaint I have seen on the Hobie rod holders is that they are not deep enough for most standard fishing rods so the reel strap does not fit into the cutout to hold the rod securely. I also looked at getting some PVC pipe to use but can't find a diameter that fits the rod holder and getting them on a lathe is expensive. I don't mind spending a few bucks on a ready made unit but I want to make sure that what whatever I get works well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I put in Scotty flush mounts near my thigh in the recess on each side and use a Scotty rocket on one side. The other side I use for a Scotty Lake troller. I also put FF on right by my knee with Ram mount and just forward of that I put a Ram for the offset rod holder I got at the Hobie dealer, don't like it and it was expensive, it also does not let rod go thru the bottom so reel does not fit in the notch like it should.

I have also seen where some people are saying the stock Hobie rod holders are larger in diameter than most and the expanding base styles that slide into them do not work due to this. Ive seen posts on other forums where they use this style and wrap O-rings around them to make them snug up and work.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It looks like Hobie has some new adjustable rod holders coming out later this year. One will plug into the molded in rod holders and the other from the H-Rail. They look pretty neat, but I wonder if they will accommodate longer rods....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

All New Hobie Rod Holders!

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=55613

Quote:
Two new Hobie Rod Holders. One that fits into our molded-in rod holders and works as an fully adjustable extension. The other clamps to H-Rails.

72020074 ROD HOLDER EXTENSION / ADJ

72020098 ROD HOLDER ASSEMBLY / H-RAIL

More detail at the link in Kayak Fishing Forum

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)