Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just purchased a 2015 Demo Oasis from the dealer and took it out for it's long maiden voyage today, and noticed the finished edges of the bottom of the seat where the fabric has a sewn cover over it, has what looks like little fine pieces of the ends of the mesh poking through the sewn edge, and they poke through my shorts and into my legs. It seems like the edges of the mesh weren't finished in any way, and so the mesh is just poking through the sewn, finished edge and into my legs. I know this sounds like a small whine, but it's actually very uncomfortable! Both of the seats have this issue. Anyone else with this problem, and is there a reliable, permanent fix for it? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like the 3D mesh sticking through. Maybe pushes through more where the material is compressed and sewn.

One disadvantage to this airy mesh. Wear shorts and shirts is one way. I also think it softens up over time.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt, but I am wearing shorts and shirt, although it's not hitting my back because of the bend of the top of the seat. So yes, it's the mesh edges sticking through, and it's actually poking through my swim trunks/shorts too because my legs come to rest on the top of this edge every pedal stroke (unlike the top.) Surprised no one else has had this issue. Guess I'll look for some type of smooth edge to put over it, like maybe a door edge guard for a car, if it might fit/be the same size. Please let me know if you have any other fix!
PS - think it could be heated quickly with an open flame to singe the edges (like you do with a cut rope) without damaging the rest of the seat edge? I'm open to other fixes, just thought that might work, but I sure don't want to damage the rest of the seat in any way. Thanks,
Anthony

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:46 am 
Site Admin

Give it a shave? I like the light flame idea. Could be tried across the top as a sample.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, neither of those ideas works, so I'm back to square zero. I ordered a thermarest trail cushion to see if that will lift my legs a little to keep them from rubbing on the rough edge, but honestly that's a band aide, not a real fix. I find it hard to believe I'm the only one with this issue.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:28 am 
Site Admin

Did you try tilting the seat down a bit in front?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, of course I can lower the front to the point my legs don't come into contact with the edge as much, but then, that's also not solving the problem, just avoiding it. I bought this kayak to enjoy it in all of it's forms, not to have to use it only in certain configurations. I've had many kayaks, and never had these types of seat/finish/comfort issues, and this was from much less expensive kayaks. I know this seems like a small thing, and it is, but it does really affect the comfort of the kayak to a large degree, at least for me. That's why I have been looking for a fix. I think Hobies in general are excellent kayaks, this is my second one and I'm sure not my last, and I'm looking forward to my new Oasis being one of my best yet, but I need to get beyond this nagging problem in order for that to be the case, and so I can truly enjoy the rest of the kayak without the discomfort of being stabbed in the legs every time I take it out. One of the biggest criteria for me when purchasing a kayak has always been seat comfort, it's my number one priority, and that certainly didn't change when I chose this new Hobie. I really don't mean to be a pain, or to be unreasonable, I'd just like to resolve this issue and move on to enjoy the rest of the great features the Oasis offers without having to endure this uncomfortable nuisance every time I use the kayak, that then overshadows the rest of my experience. I just sold a 2013 Hobie Outback that I had installed a Jackson Kayak Silver Coosa seat in, and it was very comfortable and I didn't have any of these issues. I expected the new Vantage seats to be at least as comfortable, and I'm sure they are, if I could resolve this issue. Thanks for any real resolutions you can pass my way. ~Anthony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Totally understood... have you compared to other CT seats? The 3D mesh / finish may be different?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No Matt, haven't had that chance to compare it to other Hobie CT seats. Currently, it's really only the bottom edge that I have an issue with. I think if the mesh would have been closely trimmed/heat finished/sanded, ect. so it was smooth before the edge cover was sewn on, it wouldn't have the problem of the pieces/edges of the mesh poking through the sewn cover. For now I will try the thermarest trail seat cushion when it's delivered, and see if that covers the edge and/or raises me above the edge enough to stop it from being a nuisance. I know I could also cover the edge with something like a thick towel, etc., but would prefer not to do that, and know all of these are just band aids. Anyway, if you or someone else comes across a real legit fix, I'd appreciate it if you'd pass it along. Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The seat on my 2015 Hobie Sport does the same to me! I can go fish and within a couple hours, the back of my legs are ate up along the edge of the seat. It makes me not want to even consider longer trips. As much as these things cost, this should not be an issue. I almost want to sell it and go back to a 2014 Outback with a Jackson seat mod. That's what I had before selling it to get Hobie's "new amazing seat." What a pain that turned out to be. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree totally with you Niks! I also had a Outback (2013) with the Jackson seat mod, and although it was a much more basic seat, it was much more comfortable and didn't stick me in any way. I now have a 2015 Oasis, and both my seats have the prickly edges and do the same as you - after a couple of hours, I'm ready to thow them out because of the discomfort! I was just thinking today that I have another Jackson seat, and may see if I can mount it in my Oasis to replace the uncomfortable vantage seat. I also agree with you though, this isn't a problem with even the cheapest kayaks anymore, and it sure shouldn't be a problem for what the Hobie's cost. For a $400 seat, it's really unacceptable! Let me know if you find a good fix!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sure will, because I'm definitely going to try to figure something out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Users who have bare skin in-contact have more issues. This is an inconsistent finish issue it seems. The mesh material sometimes pokes through the webbing trim. I am told that a change to the trim was made some number of months ago, but unclear if this has come through to production. I suspect not yet due to supplier lead times and stocking levels of raw materials here. Still looking for solutions like additional fabric covers, longer shorts/trunks or trimming off the little bits sticking through.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the input Matt. Just so you know, at least for me, this is an issue even with longer swim trunks because the mesh edges start to poke through even the trunks, so that won't work. And trimming off the little edges, again, impractical and not realistic, at least in my case unless the webbing trim is first removed and then sewn back on. Maybe an additional trim piece, etc. will work. I don't know how you would secure it though, because that area of the seat takes a lot of flexing and movement, so not sure what would stay put. Hopefully you come up with a good resolution soon for us current owners with this issue. Thanks again. ~Anthony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I'm a girl so I don't wear swim trunks at all, because it's hot as balls in Alabama during the summer. Like everyone else here, I wear my swimsuit. When I do wear shorts (spring/fall weather) then I wear Nike shorts since they're dry fit material but they're not long either. They don't make shorts that come to my knees and even if they did, I wouldn't buy some just to help an issue for a seat on a kayak I paid over 2 grand for. Im not fussing at anyone in particular here so my apologies if it comes across that way. I'm just saying that we spend enough money on these things, that suggesting a special wardrobe or DIY fixes for something the company should be fixing for us is a huge disappointment.