Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lifespan of rudder lines
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2002 Outback that I purchased used a couple of years ago and I believe the rudder control lines had been replaced at some point in it's life. Just wondering though - what is the expected lifespan of the line material? I think it's Spectra cord which is pretty bullet-proof, but is there any recommended time interval for replacement, say after "x" amount of years?

The lines look ok, but always a consideration in the back of my mind when sailing several miles from shore...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As long as you know how you can make a quick fix on the water and how those lines run, let em go until they break or you have steering problems. Maybe carry some line to make a temporary fix.
Of course doing the replacement yourself will give you all the knowledge about how to replace them and how they run. Myself, I eliminated the extra features on my TI, no shock chord. no limiter, no second passenger access up front. Made them simple and they work perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Originally your boat may have had mono-filament lines that would have been upgraded to Sprctra. Spectra rarely needs replacement unless there is some uncommon source of abrasion. There is no recommended replacement schedule that I am aware of. If there is a rudder malfunction it is usually a broken plastic rudder pin on the newer Twist N Stow style and a spare is usually stored in one of the hatch covers. Your kick-up stainless rudder is pretty bullet proof (check your welds from time to time). Just in case though, it's easy to steer with your paddle (using a trailing blade) if the unexpected were to happen -- try it! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had my Adventure (Island) since the year dot - and several other Hobies along the way - all of which, as far as I can recall, had Spectra rudder lines. I have never had to replace a single line. I think some people have had problems with the spectra wearing where it has rubbed on something but apart from hearing that it seems pretty much indestructible in my experience.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
Just in case though, it's easy to steer with your paddle (using a trailing blade) if the unexpected were to happen -- try it! 8)

2X on this... it also works when the side wind is really high and you need that little extra to stay on the stright path home.... Give that a try toooooooo!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies - I think I'll just go with "if it ain't broke..." and put some spare line in my on-board toolbag.