Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Finally got my crack at the shop Adventure Island today...

Wow.

Though there are some things I'd change.

But how fast have you gotten yours going? I managed 11.2 mph today in some really rough water with the sail furled about 2 wraps during a downwinder. Winds were pretty gusty.

Just curious.

Brian C

Post subject: Give that dog a bone
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Diggity-Dawg :wink:
The response from the A.I. guys so far on this one is totally underwhelming. So moving forward then what type of changes would you make and what sort of average speeds would you think are possible in say 10 to 15 knot winds.?
I have often wondered , after seeing the videos and photos from other sites , if the A.I. speeds would improve were the akas/amas/floaty thingies made with more volume , a longer wider profile with better floatation and more rocker and thus hopefully show less tendency to dive or submerge so easily in stronger gusts , waves and higher wind speeds .
Then there's that whole " been taking a drink from a firehose, got more on ya than in ya " issue Ive been reading so much about everywhere. In other words could I save some money, get no wetter and go just about as fast if I only bought the A.I. sail kit , then shoved it up my A&$ and head out for a swim on a windy day ? :lol: All kidding aside I heard it was a fairly wet ride for the most part ! In spite of all that I still want one someday soon and wonder if they might even make a two seater in the near future .
Have a Happy Merry Jolly 8)
-kepnutz-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I probably should have posted the original over in Kayak Sailing...

Anyway...

The changes I'd make so far are pretty minor. Mostly the placement of the cam cleats for the mainsheet and roller furling to improve entry and exit angles. Those were the biggest annoyances... I do think that the mast retention clip is going to need a redesign. It's just weak.

While the Island certainly isn't a rocket compared to windsurfing, I thought it had very respectable speed. I was seeing upwind speeds above 7mph. I don't know if 10+mph averages will be possible simply because of hull length.

As for the amas burying, I wasn't really having that problem. The one time I submerged the hulls was when I punched the back of a wave, then had the following wave catch up. I was laughing the whole time.

And yeah, it was a wet ride... But it was blowing 20+mph while I was out. Not much is dry in those conditions.

Yeah... A two-seater would be cool. Everyone who's seen it has asked if it carries two, or if there is one that carries two.

Merry Christmas back at ya (and to all the rest of you out there).

Brian C