Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dealer Demo
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently retired and moved to Palm Beach County Florida. A week ago I went kayak shopping. I've more or less settled on the Tandem Island.

The problem I've run into is that there are no units to demo, sit in, pedal etc. I don't need to demo the sail, I'll learn that through trial, error and other peoples posts and mistakes.

I'm not sure my dealer wants to sell. I've asked twice in a week, what arrangements can be made to sit in a Tandem island, or barring that at least try an Oasis to get an idea of the fit for me. I'm told there will be a demo day the end of January for the Oasis. Seriously? The business wants a cash paying customer wait when he's ready to buy?

When I looked at a smaller Kayak, the dealer told me it would take a week to transport a kayak from Dana Fl. to NPB. If the color I wanted wasn't in either of the stores, they state that they receive once a month shipments from Hobie and I would have to wait? Really? I'm thinking something else.

I was told there is no chance I'll be able to test a TI as they arent interested in having a 6 k kayak sitting on the floor if I don't like it.

Is this normal behavior or policy for Hobie Dealers? I test a car out before buying and the same goes for a powerboat.

I was given the kayak manager's business card and was told that I could call and talk to him if I wanted tomorrow.

At this point, I'm a bit discouraged. I've shopped Austin Kayaks on line and if it's not possible to test drive one, I may take my chances and go with the online dealer. I just can't bring myself to reward a local dealer who isn't willing to go the extra mile.

Anyway, I would appreciate feedback, even if it means I need to lower my expectations.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Dealer Demo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As a dealer let me chime in.

First let me start with an option for you to try a Tandem Island. There is a rental in the Keys. May be others. Hobie has a rental locator on their website.

http://www.paddlefloridakeys.com/product/roto-molded-mirage-island-sail-kayaks/

Second there are many factors that come into play for your local dealer. I'm sure they would love to sell you the boat. It is tough to qualify customers. I have spent many hours working with dreamers both in the showroom and on the water. Some have then gone online to purchase. Support your local dealer. They are the ones that can help you the easiest after the sale.
You can't demo it online so why hold them to a different standard.

We are right on the water and offer demos on the spot for most models. Many people just want to try the Mirage drive and that's it. Others are looking at performance of the different models. It is very labor intense.

We don't have a Tandem Island available for demos but do offer rentals. Usually people want to spend some time trying it out.

I wouldbe happy to hash over some of the policy that makes it tough but I am going to keep that off the board. PM me if you need to.

Post subject: Re: Dealer Demo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It does seem a little odd to me that a FL dealer wouldn't keep a TI in stock for demos. Hell, my dealer in landlocked Nebraska even has a demo boat. If you can't catch them during a demo day they are more than willing to set up a personal demo on a local lake. I'm with KeuKayak WRT supporting your local dealer. Maybe you just haven't found the right local dealer.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas