Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone made a covered kayak trailer? I'm looking for ideas for a small trailer I can lock up a PA14 in. It would be nice to not have to worry about someone messing with my gear when I'm not on the water.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The advantage of a trailer which fully enclosed your kayak(s) is that you could leave all of your gear mounted on the kayak(s), and just haul them out of the trailer and plop them in the water, all ready to go. The disadvantage of a trailer which fully encloses your kayak(s) is that you'd need a pretty large and expensive enclosed trailer to fit a PA14. I haven't seen any kayak trailers which fully enclose the kayaks.

A lot of kayakers have small and inexpensive trailers with lockable gear storage space on the bed, and racks for two or four kayak above the storage. That kind of setup would allow you to keep everything but the hull of the kayak under lock and key, and you could cable lock the hull to the trailer. For short trips between your garage and a launch site, you could leave all your gear mounted on the kayak. I'm sure that owners of such trailers will post descriptions and pictures, but if you search the Northwest Kayak Angler's forum, you'll find descriptions and pictures of some excellent and inexpensive kayak trailer setups.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well the idea is to have something I can stop by say Walmart or get something to eat at a restaurant after I get in from the water and not have to worry about my stuff going missing. I'm sure I can come up with something that isn't as huge as a normal box trailer, just seeing what kindof slick setups others have put ttogether first.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

There are a lot of good ideas for kayak trailers at http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/in ... ic=12593.0 . And check out the trailer at http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/in ... #msg100618 , although I’d prefer a bigger trailer with the kayaks mounted on top of the storage boxes.