Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storage and Sailing kit
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anybody know if hanging a Hobie Odyssey from the celling upside-down with two straps will distort the kayak? Also has anyone put a sailing kit on the Odyssey?

Sorry I am new to the Kayak and can not find a clear answer anywhere online.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I use wide straps to hang the kayaks upside down supporting the boat on the cockpit rails where there is good rigidity.

Hobie sails are meant to be used on the Mirage Drive boats -- the Drive fins serve as a centerboard. All the Mirages also have a mast sleeve to set the mast in. I'm sure you can rig something up with a home made leeboard (like the sabots use) and rig some stays to support the mast (You need to fashion a mast pocket of some sort as well. The Hobie inflatable sail kit comes with stays.

Your other option is to buy an aftermarket downwind sail -- there are a few different brands. They are easy to use and can be deployed and stowed without too much difficulty.

Welcome to the forum! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I recently posted at length in another thread my thoughts on adding a mast base/cup/receiver to the Odyssey... You might like to do a search and dig that thread up to read. The upshot is that you should be able to make the mod easily enough but unless you can solve the daggerboard issue, the location of the mast base will be critical and your ability to point the boat upwind will be compromise, but the boat should be a good sailer nonetheless if you get it right and accept the sailing limitations.

Correction: the thread was in the Kayak Sailing forum see http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=57661