Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have 2 mirage drive kayaks, 1 model year apart. The older model has a lever to raise and lower the rudder. The newer model has 2 pull cords to raise and lower the rudder. The newer model rudder is no longer working (staying in the down position). I disassembled and discovered a broken spring and a pin inside the spring that had the raise line go through. I can not find any documentation for this configuration. Since the failure mode is that the rudder does not stay in the down position, and it looks like this pin might have functioned to hold the rudder down, I am thinking that this pin/spring is the issue. This up/down may have been an early version, because both were purchased at same time. Any ideas on this design and where I might be able to purchase parts?

NOTE: This up/down never worked very well, but in the diagnosing, I discovered multiple wraps of the down line. So the up and down lines would interfere with each other. Probably the reason it always operated poorly. In configuring the lines without the double wrap of the down line, it now raises and lowers properly. But it does not lock into place.

MORAL of STORY: I am pretty sure a guest ran the kayak up onto the beach and then drug it with the rudder down, and that is what damaged the internal spring and pin. If it doesn't work well, try to figure out before guests break it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is an early rudder and the newer Twist and Stow rudder. Parts for both generations of rudder can be found in the Kayaking Parts & Accessories catalog (pg. 58 in Sept 2016 catalog). Here's a link where you can find the pdf of this catalog: http://www.hobiecat.com/catalogs-brochures/

Your dealer should be able to assist you in getting the correct parts...posting photos of the broken parts on here will help too.

New catalog coming soon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess I wasn't clear, my Twist and Stow rudder does not match the documentation for the twist and Stow rudder. It has an internal spring that is not shown.

I did take it to a dealer, who agreed that it did not match the documentation. SO I ordered an complete new rudder system, instead of possibly executing a repair of the existing parts.

Anyway thanks. I should be out on the water in a week or so.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Internal in the rudder? At the beginning there was a small plunger and spring in the drum that was designed to lock the rudder down. That idea was quickly scrapped. You can simply remove the plunger and spring and have what is current. No need to replace the assembly.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm assuming your rudder up/down is the older lever style up/down control?? Part no. 81391002 is a kit that gives you everything needed to upgrade that system to a T-handle line kit as in our newer boats. As always with this system, the rudder/down line must be pulled back and then jammed into the cleat to hold the rudder in the down position.

If you have the T-Handle line system already, you may just need to install a cleat to solve your problem. (part no. 10730021 starboard cleat)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yep. I have the "internal plunger and spring". And it seems you have confirmed that I had a early design that is not documented on any drawings I could find. I have tried removing, and the rudder does not stay locked, which was the failure mode that caused me to investigate. Dealer called today and the new rudder assembly is in, so I should have it all installed this weekend.

NOTE: The real problem, was that as I picked up the kayak new from the dealer, the "stow" rudder line had a double wrap. This, I believe caused the up/down function of the rudder to always operate poorly. The reason I am posting this, is to help someone who might be having problems with their rudder is not deploying and/or stowing easily. Check to make sure the lines inside the hub don't have a double wrap. Honestly, I think it was poorly assembled from the factory, I just thought the "new system" didn't work very well, so I never investigated.