Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite Mirage Story?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,

What's your favorite Mirage story?

I just want to say how much I enjoy using Hobie's Mirage kayaks. I bought two new Revolutions in 2005 (all were 13ers back then), and after eleven years and countless miles they are still going strong. For a time I even commuted to work in one, when I lived and worked on opposite sides of a lake in FL. Now that was the life.

My favorite story is the time I introduced a buddy to the Revolution, his first time out. On the way back we came upon a motorboat (some kind of bass boat) that was dead in the water with a stalled engine. I had some rope under the hatch and we cut it in half, threw the lines to the captain adrift, and towed him about a mile back to the docks. I'll never forget the look of surprise and gratitude of getting a much-needed lift ... by a couple of kayaks no less.

Lately I've taken to towing a duck decoy behind the boat. It lets me get a little closer to wildlife, and kids on the shore love it when we glide by.

Anyone else have a favorite story to share?

JAW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was up on Blue Ridge Reservoir on a windy day and was pulling a long a woman I know as she getting tired fighting the wind and I started slowing down shortly there after.... 4 more latched on...all non Hobies of course

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Another time my friend and I were out on 2 of my Revo 13s on Woods Canyon Lake and a lil powered row boat thingy with a family of 6 were stranded and over loaded... we got on each side and dragged them in... kinda fun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great stories above!

One time I put the Revo in at a boat ramp with a group of people watching. After demoing how the mirage drive works, I hopped in, ready to spin out and throw a wake. As hard as I pedaled, the boat went nowhere. Then I sheepishly realized the cart was still installed under the hull. Once I took care of that senior moment, I made haste.