Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently picked up a 2010 Revo that is in great shape...but it came with an older drive. The drive is in really good shape and has the V2 drums (so I'm guessing it is a V2, but I've seen some disagreement on whether or not the drums alone qualify). The sprockets are older ones that don't have the brass insert and screw-in fin masts. It also has a lot more resistance than the V2 drive I had with my '14 Pro Angler...so I was thinking about upgrading to the GT sprockets and idler pulley.

Would it be ok to upgrade those and not the drums?

It also has the older drum shaft with the round ends instead of the beveled ends. Would it help to upgrade the drum shaft too?

Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:18 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yak Crevalle wrote:
I recently picked up a 2010 Revo that is in great shape...but it came with an older drive. The drive is in really good shape and has the V2 drums (so I'm guessing it is a V2, but I've seen some disagreement on whether or not the drums alone qualify). The sprockets are older ones that don't have the brass insert and screw-in fin masts. It also has a lot more resistance than the V2 drive I had with my '14 Pro Angler...so I was thinking about upgrading to the GT sprockets and idler pulley.
This configuration Drive appeared in the 2008 model year. The reason your Drive is running stiff or squeaking is either lack of lube / dried out grease on the shafts, or (more likely) too tight settings on your 3 cables, not the configuration.
Quote:
Would it be ok to upgrade those and not the drums?
You could upgrade 2 ways:
1. get V-2 sprockets and masts and stop there, or
2. upgrade to GT components. While it is possible to upgrade to GT sprockets only, the GT full conversion also converts drums and idler to roller bearings. You could not re-use your V-2 drums, sprockets or idler, as they have a different bore to accommodate the bearings.
Quote:
It also has the older drum shaft with the round ends instead of the beveled ends. Would it help to upgrade the drum shaft too?
Again, you have 2 choices:
1. (if they show wear) flip any or all of your (3) shafts to expose the unworn side sides as new bearing surfaces. In this case you would have to file a new flat spot on your idler shaft.
2. if your old drumshaft shows any signs of moving laterally or rotating, then a new drum shaft would help. It has a splined center to help stabilize it. Otherwise, there is no functional difference between the round tip and beveled tip. If your old shaft shows no appreciable wear and is working well with your Click N Go system, there is no need to change it.

To the extent that you upgrade to GT components (sprockets, drums or idler), you should use new shafts if your old shafts show any wear. This is so your new roller bearings (the heart of the GT system) wear minimally and evenly. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are thinking of flipping the shafts make sure you know which way up they where in the first place or you will be back here asking if they wear on top or bottom, or even worse, guessing wrong.

TBH once you start pulling apart and upgrading its hard to stop until you end up with a virtually new drive, spine and all :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like you have a V1 drive (plastic drum, plastic spine, sprocket/mast connection is a set screw). To upgrade to V2 sprocket, choose one of the following, plus fin of choice:

V2 SPROCKET / MAST KIT STD
US$ 81.99

V2 SPROCKET / MAST KIT TURBO
US$ 88.99

If you want to upgrade your V1 drum to GT, use the following kit and GT sprocket update kit and fin preferred:

DRUM UPDATE KIT V1 TO GT

GT SPROCKET / MAST KIT STD
US$ 86.99

GTT SPROCKET / MAST KIT TURBO
US$ 92.99