Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:23 am 
Hobie Team Member

Dupe o KFS post for those that don't go there.

--
Had a chance to test the Adventure Island Tuesday at Kawaihae Harbor. I'll throw in some sail remarks, but primary purpose of test was to see if this was a sailing platform that could fish, versus the 06 small sail model that I consider a fishing yak that sails.

Not the best of conditions to test. 20-25 knot Kona winds with higher gusts, 8-10 foot swells with the harbor entrance almost closed out with breakers on either side. So when the dealer suggested moving to the south end inside the harbor breakwater I readily acquiesced. (Lucky we did. See below.)

I was impressed with the easy setup on the beach. Assembles almost as fast as my Sidekick rig. We then walked the yak to the water, and I got in and attached my ankle leash (brought my own). With the dealer holding the yak I did a quick rod check. I use a 6 and 1/2 half footer, but I was able to easily move the tip around the outer most point of the ama.

Potential problem would be if the fish pulled the line under the yak at the intersection of the fwd yaku with the hull. I pointed the rod down a bit then passed the tip around the bow while passing the rod around the furled sail into my other hand. Got the rod to the fish side.

Theoretically you could also go around the stern, but that might take too much time and you risk tangling with the rudder if you have it down.

Would this pass around mast method be sufficient to fight a small marlin/big yellow-fin without taking the mast down? Not having the experience, I cannot honestly say. You could easily furl the sail after hookup with one hand. Half the problem gone. But certainly one would encounter the problem of the rod's leash perhaps restricting movement. So you fight with an unleashed rod?

People like Jim Sammons have advised they would want to fight billfish with a clear deck. That is mast down.

I have taken down the small sail while fighting a 35 lb ulua, so I wanted to try taking the Island mast down while on the water.

Unfortunately due to time and some things that went wrong, did not get to try this until the yak was back on the beach.

Kelly advised me I would have to stand up to remove the mast, and could not do it from the squat position. He was right in that wind. The taller mast requires a upper handhold to balance it bringing it to the deck. I'd need to test this again, but in more reasonable conditions like 15 knots. He thought the Island would be stable enough to do so, the danger being you might fall overboard. Em... while being towed!

I had brought a surface lure to troll to see what surface action I could get while under sail. But given the conditions assumed I would certainly be going fast enough that this test was unnecessary. So I passed the rod off to Kelly as I sailed forth.

I only let the sail out ~1/3 due to caution in the high wind. Moved OK. Did not point that high. I later discovered with it out further the Island pointed higher. Same experience I had with the small 20 footer.

Second run I got bolder and let her about 1/2 +. Zipped. Spray wasn't too bad. I could buy this craft for sailing alone today.

Sailed back to the entry point, pointed into the wind and furled sail. Started playing around bringing ama into one side of yak in preparation of landing simulated fish. Was worried about line slipping between ama and side of hull during boating process. Will require you to keep rod tip pointed out to side. Should be no huli problem due to ama . The ama collapsed with a one handed maneuver BTW. Just squeeze the button and lift the yaku and pull in. BUT you will need a bungie or something to lock it in the alongside position.

So during my fooling around the wind starts pushing the yak somewhat parallel to the beach, but also closer to the rocks (not much sand there). No problem. I had been using the fins (standard-not turbo) anyway, very handy in the high-wind tacking.

Screw! No rudder. Something wrong. I immediately signaled to Kelly we had a problem. Then slipped off the yak on the port side hanging on the ama and hull. I side-kicked the yak enough so that with the wind we were drifting parallel to the beach keeping away from the rocks. Kelly indicated he wanted me down further where the sand started again is scrambling along the beach (remember Drift test #2?)

He found an opening in the rocks large enough to swim out. He couldn't get the rudder to work either. He then unscrewed the center hatch and blindly reached in, finger felt the problem, and unwrapped the cable. The rudder had swung too far and the control arm had gone around so the cable jammed. I had never experienced this problem so I mention it here in case others also run into it. Fortunately we had decided to not exit the harbor cause the yak would have been toast if this occurred outside near the entrance.

I weigh 191 (had my physical today). I guess Kelly weighs 165 or so. Now the fun started. With him on the windward side behind me he had me let the sail out to 80-85% close hauled. Holy molly! Spray all over the place. She was flying.

We tacked and clearly I was pointing much higher than earlier.

There were a bunch of things I saw posted here before.

The cam lock for the furling line for instance, should IMHO be slanted down. I had a problem the first couple of times getting the line locked in. You have to scootch a bit unless you have orangoutang arms.

Also I could see the wear beginning in yaku as yackholic described. etc on most other problems Matt has issued fix kits..

Could you fish this baby? Specifically tolling under sail? I think yes for mahi mahi and ono. Probably most other fish up to 60-80 lbs. Big boys? The mast is the question. I'm going to leave my small one up until I get a big fish. The try and fight it with the pass rod around mast method.

I'll also try taking the Island mast down at sea if I can share another demo later.

I'd also comment that if your fishing with another yak, search & get an Island partner to go with you. If your yak should sink for any horrible reason the Island should be able to get both of you home.

Final fish comment: Still need to eliminate the tankwell and put in a large hatch aft for big fish storage. For the life of me I can't see why they don't bring this type of model out. The primary initial purpose of the Adventure was touring and this not only increase gear storage but lowers the CG of the load by ~ 4 inches, satisfying two markets at once.

I deeply appreciated the opportunity to test the yak. Unfortunately the conditions were not the best and I hopefully could have found more stuff out with slightly lighter winds.[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

AlohaDan,

Thanks for the report :D

I have been eagerly awaiting reports on how the AI fishes. While I won' t be going after the monsters you are, I will be fishing more than sailing. I currently fish/sail a Sport with small sail. I am going to upgrade this Spring, and am trying to decide between the Revo+Sidekick+smallsail or AI+ama+bigsail. I'm glad to hear that a reasonable rod length will clear the ama. I had also hoped the sail could be removed once at my fishing destination, so I look forward to your followup report. I look at the sail as a way to quickly get to my fishing spot with minimal exhaustion, and a way of trolling. Unfortunately, the great fishing spots are seldom near the great launching spots :( Of course, sailing the AI will be a blast too 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
While I won' t be going after the monsters you are, I will be fishing more than sailing.

HeyNew2Yak,
Something is not computing here based on your comments above. Now, don't get me wrong, but it seems to me that the BigAI has been designed primarily as a sailing vessel, not as a fishing yak, or as a combo fishing/sailing yak.

So why would you be interested in getting a sailboat if you are primarily interested in fishing? Seems to me that with such a great liine of Mirage drive fishing yaks like the Sport, OB, Revo, and BigA, all of which are sail-ready right out of the box, why, IMHO, would you want to go with a yak for which fishing is basically a sideline, and perhaps difficult at best. This further makes no sense to me in that Hobie now makes the Sidekicks so you now also have the ability to add outriggers to any of the Mirage drive yaks as well.

OTOH, if you are primarily interested in yak sailing, with only occasional fishing excursions, then fine, go with the AI. If not, then make sure you can find a dealer who will let you play with both, as Aloha Dan has done. It is a lot of extra money to spend on the AI if you are not going to need, or maybe even like it, as opposed to simply adding a sail to one of the Mirage drive fishing yaks. I also fish and sail the Sport, but if and when I upgrade, I am going to look seriously at the Revo first, but also at the new OB which has an entirely new hull design. Just my $.02 worth.

Post subject: AI and fish
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's my 2 cents...

I am EAGARLY awaiting my AI for:

Sailing... Took a certified course 5 years (and 30 lbs) ago on Lake M...

Kayaking... Lot's of strange rivers and creeks in Chicagoland...

Fishing...

You can always leave the sail and amas off, and then you are a BigA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Apalach,

You are the grand master of kayak fishing, and I am honored that you took the time to comment on my post :D

I intend to both fish and sail... fish in kayak-only mode, and sail in AI mode. However, some of my favorite fishing spots are an hour pedal/paddle from my launch site. I have young kids, and it is difficult for me to find time for fishing. I usually get a kitchen pass for a half day. Now, if it takes me an hour to drive to my launch spot, and an hour to pedal to my fishing spot, and vice-versa, that leaves little quality fishing time. I have been entrigued by the possibility of using the bigger sail of the AI to increase my average speed, since every minute is precious to me. I agree that the Revo+Sidekick+SmallSail is a compelling choice, and would be a little bit more manuverable in some of the tighter places I currently take my Sport. However, I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the sailing experience of blasting through the local ocean bays, since I do occassionally sail only (My Sport, rentals, friends' cats, etc).

I did just remember (correct me if I'm wrong) that the AI will still accept the small sail. Perhaps I can just use the AI in kayak-only mode with the small sail, if the large sail is too difficult to maneuver around with a pole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey New,
Thanks, and I hear ya--your ideas do make a lot of sense and the AI might be just the ticket for what you want to do. Re my previous post, I guess I was thinking about Aloha Dan's great tales and his attempts to adapt the BigA/AI to both fishing and sailng, especially out in the open sea off Hawaii. Personally, I really respect anyone who is able to do what he is trying to do. So, however it sorts out, good luck to you in your yaking endeavors. And, be sure to keep us posted on how it is all coming together.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:17 pm 
Hobie Team Member

New

I don't think the Ai accepts the small sail. But it doesn't have too.

Just furl the larger one.

Apalach. Perhaps you are overlooking not only New's transit problem of getting somewhere fast, but two others:

1. Trolling capability. The small sail speed is marginal for ocean lures. You need that 6-8 knots.

You can still furl up for bait trolls at lower speeds.

2. Getting back safe when caught out in high winds. When even the Mirage Drive is not enough.

The furling aspect of the AI sail is one of it's great features.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

AlohaDan,

Thanks for your insight. Like Apalach, I also admire what you do with your yaks and future AI.

I referred to the small sail, not for smaller surface area, but for the ability to pull it and stow it quickly. I currently bungie my small sail to one of the paddle holders when fishing, and retrieve it when traveling to and from my destination.

I agree that one of the most tempting aspects of the AI is the ability to blast to shore when conditions change. I have been on the wrong end of the tide and wind before, and with the low hull speed of my Sport, it was hard to maintain position, let alone make progress. In the AI, I could unfurl the sail and help my pedaling.